ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING LSU 2022: Julie's May recruiting class projection

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
Let’s remember, it’s early and the recruiting game is about to change when things open up on June 1.

I expect my June projection piece to look different because I think we’ll have a clearer picture after some visits and camps happen. Plus, LSU will see kids in person at camps in June and reevaluate its board or extend new offers. Right now, this is the 25 I’m going with. Taking comments/questions/concerns below…

(I expect Jimmy's projection piece later this week.)

Additional info: I left all 13 commitments in the class for now. Of the non-committed prospects, I feel most confident -- right now -- about Chris Graves, Quency Wiggins, Emery Jones, Malik Agbo.

I recently was told that Trevor Etienne might be leaning more LSU than Clemson and I think that likely has a lot to do with not wanting to be compared to his brother and creating his own legacy, plus it's much closer to home and family to watch. Kevin Faulk is in a good position, if you ask me. He's got three talented in-state backs and would be happy to have any of them. I went with Tre'Vonte Citizen over Le'Veon Moss just from previous conversations with Citizen about his relationship with Faulk and being from around the same area of the state. I don't think LSU stops recruiting any of them, plus they're still after No. 1 RB Branson Robinson, but many believe LSU does not have the lead with him. Then, could Kendrick Law be looked at as a RB by the staff? Still a lot to sort through before this class is wrapped.

LSU recently offered Isaiah Sategna, the Texas A&M commitment, and I could see him flipping, but I think he only ends up in the class if Shazz Preston is looking elsewhere or if Aaron Anderson flips or something like that. If Shazz Preston wants in, the spot is his, and it sounds like LSU would be very happy with their WR haul if they can keep the in-state guys home that they want. We'll also have to keep an eye on Landon Ibieta after he camps in June.

Last year or even early in 2021, LSU was considered by many the leader for both DL Shemar Stewart and Walter Nolen. Both play their recruitments close to the vest and both are highly sought after. Last I heard LSU still felt good about Stewart. Nolen will be a big battle, but Ed Orgeron is leading the charge for him and keep in mind that LSU OL Xavier Hill and 2021 TE signee Jalen Shead attended school with Nolen and have been pushing for him too, along with Maason Smith. LSU is in a good spot with him. LSU is also going hard after in-state DL J'Mond Tapp but I believe he will be a battle as well considering the national offers he's gathered.

Bryce Anderson was once committed to LSU but backed off his pledge earlier this year. LSU offered him the opportunity to participate in both football and track, which he partakes in at his high school in Beaumont. The Tigers might have put themselves back in the lead over the Texas schools for Anderson, who is also a member of the Bootleggers and Jacoby Mathews is definitely working his buddy to join him in Baton Rouge.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News