ADVERTISEMENT

LSU is consistently one of the most talented

kitavis

1st Team All-America
Jul 21, 2001
Programs in college football on both sides of the ball. We are wiout a doubt the most talented on offense as LSU has ever been. However, LSU does not have a qb that is any better than the absolute worst qb in football while LSU runs one of the worst coached offensive schemes in college football in any class. WHY? We constantly are praying that Miles hire bona-fide assistants so he can stay clear for obvious reasons. Miles apologist keep contending that C Cameron is some sort of offensive/qb guru that no one else in football shares the same opinion. Note the high profile qb staying clear of LSU, and LSU'S offense, and of course, Les Miles.

WTF is going on for this to be accepted in Baton Rouge? !!

Originally posted by kitavis:
Programs in college football on both sides of the ball. We are wiout a doubt the most talented on offense as LSU has ever been. However, LSU does not have a qb that is any better than the absolute worst qb in football while LSU runs one of the worst coached offensive schemes in college football in any class. WHY? We constantly are praying that Miles hire bona-fide assistants so he can stay clear for obvious reasons. Miles apologist keep contending that C Cameron is some sort of offensive/qb guru that no one else in football shares the same opinion. Note the high profile qb staying clear of LSU, and LSU'S offense, and of course, Les Miles.

Ever get the impression that you're just howling at the moon?

Reactions: 03_TIGERS_07
Lol at your attempt at thought policing.

Directly bashing a poster and/or Mod will not be tolerated. Especially regarding military service.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can some tell me what was so wrong with Rettig fitting into this offense?
We all know the 800# gorilla in this room no one dares mention.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2015/01/rutgers_quarterback_hayden_rettig_ready_to_be_the.html

Tyler Donohue @TDsTake
Follow
Aside from perhaps Tom Savage, Rutgers hasn't landed a QB prospect as impressive as Hayden Rettig in recent memory. Big, necessary pickup.

"Thanks Terry. Now just because you said that, Coach Miles will keep him on the sidelines."

The main thing going on is you do not know what you are talking about.

Four of the last 5 QB we have signed were high profile. Jennings, Harris, Rettig and Mettenberger. The 5th, McMillian, while not considered a high profile QB has the same pedigree as a QB who led AL to a NC in 2009 and had a record of 33-3 in his career. His recruiting pedigree was he led his HS to the Texas HS State Championship 2 years in a row in the highest HS division in the state.

The main problem with the passing offense in 2014 was the WR, more so than the QB. LSU lost all the WR on their depth chart to the NFL, two of them only staying 3 years at LSU. Both of these players, Landry and Beckham, were starters in the NFL by the end of the season. The other 2 made NFL rosters. The only returning WR who had any playing time at all were Dural and Diarse and their playing time was negligible. Though he was a 3rd year player and an excellent one, Dural had spent more than half his time at LSU rehabbing an ACL injury.

The 4 main WR for 2014 were Dural, Dupree, Quinn and Diarse. Dural was in his 3rd year, Diarse in his 2nd year and the other 2 were rank freshmen reporting if August. The 2 freshmen needed to build their bodies physically to be able to get off tight coverage and block. Dural needed to complete his conditioning and get the # of reps to finish his technique training. Diarse need to get the # of reps with to get his technique training. The freshman needed all of that plus become much stronger physically.

Two things come into play in 2014 because of the inexperience and maturity and the need for physical development and technique training of the WR. The first was way more practice time was spent on technique and and condition of the WR. This led to the fact that the passing offense to the RB and TE came late. It began to show at the end of the season. But because of poor technique at least a a 1/3 or so of the interceptions and probably more than 1/2 the QB sacks resulted. All the drops that were incompletions resulted. For example Quinn's 2 drops in the AL game had a huge impact on that game, killing promising drives. When WR have to concentrate on getting open and running the right pattern so hard they often have hands problems.

I predict that the LSU passing offense will improve dramatically in 2015 and be much more effective. The QB will be significantly improved just because of the year training and playing, the TE and RB will become more of a factor, and the WR will take a mega leap in improved play.

Reactions: Wetigers
I predict that the LSU passing offense will improve dramatically in 2015 and be much more effective. The QB will be significantly improved just because of the year training and playing, the TE and RB will become more of a factor, and the WR will take a mega leap in improved play.
-----

You're saying g that I don't know what I'm talking about, yet all you can do is predict? Predict based on nothing associated with coach or scheme, he'll or even talent.

Truth is, is this team should be good, and how good will determine how much better the rest of the team is better than qb, or offensive scheme.

In other words, more of the same Jordan Jefferson handicap years. Miles wouldn't have it any other way.

The main problem with the passing offense in 2014 was the WR, more so than the QB.

I can't believe you said this. Wow.

This post was edited on 4/16 2:44 PM by kitavis

This post was edited on 4/16 6:11 PM by kitavis

This is what pissed me off.
It's obvious why Rettig was a four-star prospect out of Cathedral High in Los Angeles, as the 6-foot-3, 205-pounder can make all the throws.

"Those things are easily identified when you put film on when you're recruiting a player," Flood said. "But it's the other things. It's how hard he works, it's his passion to be a great football player - he's a high intangible guy. Those are the things ultimately that separate the players when you get to this level."

How does this happen?

And anyone defending the decision to play the very worst quarterback in college football over ANYONE else on our roster has fell, and hit their head.

And NO ONE can say with a straight face that Rettig, or even Rivers showed less promise than AJ. This BS is a disgrace to LSU, and college football.

Lol at your attempt at thought policing. Definitely didn't have the chest to serve out nation, and take the oath to defend our constitution. Lol

This post was edited on 4/11 11:02 AM by kitavis
What exactly are you ranting about now...?

Reactions: 03_TIGERS_07
The main problem with the passing offense in 2014 was the WR, more so than the QB.

I can't believe you said this. Wow.

This post was edited on 4/16 2:44 PM by kitavis

This post was edited on 4/16 6:11 PM by kitavis

It was really easy to say because it was true. What should be said by you, "I can't believe I post so many definite general opinions without a little research. Wow!"

As I said the WR were the biggest problem. But there was a QB problem also because of the youth and inexperience.

Maybe you don't have the time to really review things. I don't know, but I am retired and football is one of my favorite pastimes. I record every game LSU plays and keep them for several months are more after the season. I don't do it for all the games, but for OOC games like Wisconsin and for all SEC games on TV and the Bowl games I probably look at them 3 or more times.

The last couple of times I rerun botched plays and I also pay a lot of attention to the sidelines. You of course don't see a lot of things that happen on the sidelines, but there is a lot you do see. For one thing, after a sack or interception, or a failed 3rd down pass, etc or any other unusual negative occurrence, if the cameras go to the sidelines you can occasionally see an OL, WR, RB, etc being targeted by the coaches for discussion. In 2014, it was far more times about the WR than the OL and QB.

When I was able to attend LSU games in person I did this a lot. There is a general area for each position and I would determine it before the game started. Lot of fun to watch after the teams comes off the field after a bad series.

Those who say Miles don't want to throw the are full of crap. In the 10 years Miles has been HC LSU has had good passing offenses at least 5 years. Miles recruits top WR because he knows that passing is a necessary part of the game. Look at the LSU rosters he has recruited. When he was HC at OK State all 4 years OK State threw the ball.

The entire passing offense was a major problem last year. But while the QB was part of it, the WR were the major problem. They were very inexperienced. Even Dural, a 3rd year player, had very little experience as he rehabbed an ACL Diarse, who was a RSF in 2014, had little or no experience. The remaining WR who player were new freshmen. The WR could be classified as mostly inexperienced, immature and not physically ready to play a lot of snaps in the SEC, no matter how talented. This caused a number of different problems.

It caused LSU to have to spend way more of the available precious offensive practice time on developing the WR passing offense. This resulted in less time being available to work the TE and RB into the passing offense. Part of the time for the WR was also spent working on blocking. It is like any other business. You have to develop your allotted assets, but unlike a business the time in practice with the players is heavily restricted. So not having physically well conditioned, experienced, mature players is time costly. The inexperience of the QB and the RB contributed to the problem.

The coaches were conflicted by the inexperience and immaturity in another thing because of the available time factor.. It was and still is their plan to remodel the offense to a read option to better fit the skills of the personnel, principally the QB. This is involves changing blocking schemes, pass patterns etc. This made the inexperience and immaturity even bigger problem and significantly slowed this process. You can see what they were doing by the change in the offense from the start of the season to the TX A&M and Bowl game.

If you observed the spring game a few days ago the offense looked quite different from last spring. The plays were nearly all from the read option, 4 different TE caught passes, there were passes to the RB and the QB had much better success in completing passes for percentage and scores. The WR made some great plays.

This progress will continue through the summer and fall practices and the offense should be considerably better in 2015, though it will continue to develop and get better thru the season. There may be one fly in the ointment. That is how fast the OL develops execution and chemistry. While we have 3 good OL and TE starters returning all the OL will essentially be playing a new position. These are good players and the backups are good players. So hopefully, this should only be a minor glitch,but it could be a problem.

Last edited:
I think the fact that both the QB's and WR's were young and inexperienced combined with the strength of our team being a strong running game created the poor passing attack. It was easy to rely too heavily on the running game and to abandon a suspect passing game. It also led to picking the safer QB that would not make high risk throws. Of course, I am assuming he was drilled constantly on not making any mistakes, which of course makes him to conservative and when the young WRs did not create enough separation he did not throw the ball. I also predict the passing game will be better as both the QBs and WRs have another year of experience under their belt. I also think the running game will again be the strength of the offense, so it is doubtful that we will see an overly aggressive passing game. That being said we do not need a QB to throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs a game to compete for a national championship. We need 225-250 yards and 1-2 TDs who does not turn the ball over and can make the few critical third down throws it takes each game to really click offensively.

That's a heck of lot of wind defending/covering for this coaching staff fid ing the very worst qb in college football at any level. You think Rettig wouldn't have done a helluva lot better with these same wrs? Thing is every major team out there endures the very things LSU does, and they NEVER have the very worst qb in college football even on their team much less starting. Without the slightest threat of competition at that. Heck Rivers is a better qb than AJ.

That's a heck of lot of wind defending/covering for this coaching staff fid ing the very worst qb in college football at any level. You think Rettig wouldn't have done a helluva lot better with these same wrs? Thing is every major team out there endures the very things LSU does, and they NEVER have the very worst qb in college football even on their team much less starting. Without the slightest threat of competition at that. Heck Rivers is a better qb than AJ.

Be careful Kit, you are very close to what is considered bashing and/or flaming an LSU player/kid. something Foe was very passionate about and we Intend to enforce that rule. thank you for your cooperation.

I think the fact that both the QB's and WR's were young and inexperienced combined with the strength of our team being a strong running game created the poor passing attack. It was easy to rely too heavily on the running game and to abandon a suspect passing game. It also led to picking the safer QB that would not make high risk throws. Of course, I am assuming he was drilled constantly on not making any mistakes, which of course makes him to conservative and when the young WRs did not create enough separation he did not throw the ball. I also predict the passing game will be better as both the QBs and WRs have another year of experience under their belt. I also think the running game will again be the strength of the offense, so it is doubtful that we will see an overly aggressive passing game. That being said we do not need a QB to throw for 300 yards and 3 TDs a game to compete for a national championship. We need 225-250 yards and 1-2 TDs who does not turn the ball over and can make the few critical third down throws it takes each game to really click offensively.

Have you ever counted the actual designed pass plays called in a game and compared then to the number of designed running plays called. The only stats most people see are the passes thrown and the completions. You have to add the sacks in, the QB fumbles and most of the QB runs. Prior to the end of last year almost nil of the times the QB did not throw the ball were actually designed running plays for the QB. For example in the spring game you would have to add about 10 plays that were classified as runs that were actually designed pass plays. You subtract those plays from the designed run plays and add them to the designed pass plays you find the ratio is much closer to being normal. That was true of most of last year.

What is needed is better execution of the passing game. The coaches are not set on running the ball. In at least 5 of the 10 years that Miles has been head coach, LSU has had a big threat passing game. What the coaches try and do is put the most effective offense LSU can execute against the opponent they face. In the past 4-5 years, except for 2013 that has been an offense weighted toward the run game. The coaches are not afraid to throw the ball as they have proved in the past. They do not, however, wish to throw the ball when they can't execute it well.

I am confident that the WR were as much or more of a problem than the QB in 2014. That was true in also true in 2012 when Mett was the starting QB his first year. In 2013 the WR blossomed and Mett had a huge year. Part of the success was due to Mett being a senior and having been the starting QB his previous year. LSU is not quite that mature in 2015 but the WR and the QB have been together a year under some darn good coaches and the passing game showed signs of coming together in the last part of the 2014 season. I don't expect the passing offense to be awesome, but I do expect it to be solid and a threat.

I am actually concerned more with the OL coming together. Even with 3 starters returning nearly every OL will be playing a new position. Chemistry and working as a single unit is important in OL play. There are excellent OL players but they havn't been tested as a unit.

The main thing going on is you do not know what you are talking about.

Four of the last 5 QB we have signed were high profile. Jennings, Harris, Rettig and Mettenberger. The 5th, McMillian, while not considered a high profile QB has the same pedigree as a QB who led AL to a NC in 2009 and had a record of 33-3 in his career. His recruiting pedigree was he led his HS to the Texas HS State Championship 2 years in a row in the highest HS division in the state.

The main problem with the passing offense in 2014 was the WR, more so than the QB. LSU lost all the WR on their depth chart to the NFL, two of them only staying 3 years at LSU. Both of these players, Landry and Beckham, were starters in the NFL by the end of the season. The other 2 made NFL rosters. The only returning WR who had any playing time at all were Dural and Diarse and their playing time was negligible. Though he was a 3rd year player and an excellent one, Dural had spent more than half his time at LSU rehabbing an ACL injury.

The 4 main WR for 2014 were Dural, Dupree, Quinn and Diarse. Dural was in his 3rd year, Diarse in his 2nd year and the other 2 were rank freshmen reporting if August. The 2 freshmen needed to build their bodies physically to be able to get off tight coverage and block. Dural needed to complete his conditioning and get the # of reps to finish his technique training. Diarse need to get the # of reps with to get his technique training. The freshman needed all of that plus become much stronger physically.

Two things come into play in 2014 because of the inexperience and maturity and the need for physical development and technique training of the WR. The first was way more practice time was spent on technique and and condition of the WR. This led to the fact that the passing offense to the RB and TE came late. It began to show at the end of the season. But because of poor technique at least a a 1/3 or so of the interceptions and probably more than 1/2 the QB sacks resulted. All the drops that were incompletions resulted. For example Quinn's 2 drops in the AL game had a huge impact on that game, killing promising drives. When WR have to concentrate on getting open and running the right pattern so hard they often have hands problems.

While the OP may be overly negative, you sugar coating everything and making poor excuses doesn't change the facts that the offense has SUCKED in 5 of the last 6 years. Looks to me like you don't know what you are talking about either BillD. Many other schools, take Texas A&M for example, have succeeded on offense with FR QB's and little WR (3 of their 4 were FR or RSF) experience while having overall lesser OL and RB talent as well. While most certainly think the 2013 offense was great, the fact remains, it was ranked 8th overall in the SEC...and that with 4 Big Time skill players. No doubt LSU has signed quality talent at QB....the problem has been developing that talent. As to McMillan..we needed depth at QB..but the fact remains, none of the great offensive coaches in the state of Texas even thought to offer...and while Sumlin has had bigger eggs to fry, Briles and Klingsbury rarely do, and not even TCU offered...nor did Rice or SMU. Your reasoning here sounds like those that talked up Stephen Rivers.

Ever get the impression that you're just howling at the moon?

Let me ask you... What team is pre-season #1?

That would be Ohio State. The same team that won the national championship last year? The same team that had to use back up QB's? So in 3 years, UM has developed a good enough offense and multiple QB's capable of stepping in and winning a national title?

Meanwhile in BR, we play the same old, boring, stupid offense and have fallen to a mediocre level in the SEC. The same team that has had a supposed "all world" CC as the offensive Coordinator?

What say you?

I mean, is there anything you can really say?

I mean everyone and their mother seems to be able to recruit, develop, and replace QB's, and sometimes play freshman and sophmores to win championships... but at LSU, we are LUCKY to have a guy every 5 years that "might" be able to go the distance.... oh wait... ZM lost 3 games his senior year.

Be careful Kit, you are very close to what is considered bashing and/or flaming an LSU player/kid. something Foe was very passionate about and we Intend to enforce that rule. thank you for your cooperation.
I'm not here to bash anyone. If the truth isn't fair game, then why have a discussion board at all.

I'm not here to bash anyone. If the truth isn't fair game, then why have a discussion board at all.

Apparently you are here to bash, you blatantly bashed AJ .

Truth?

You stated twice in that same post that AJ is the worst qb in cfb at any level.

That couldn't be further from "The Truth" And you knew it when you typed it.

Ease up on the kid, He is a starting Tiger player and an LSU student athlete.

Your opinion is your right, Until you attack a kid.

This is why I wouldn't dare pay for the premium board anymore. I packed my m16 too many miles to have some ingrate bully censor my voice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT