ADVERTISEMENT

Shea Patterson question

cottonport

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2003
even without an elite QB this recruiting class promises to be outstanding.

Question..if LSU had promoted Patterson's brother plus giving him a very big salary , would Shea be an Ole Miss Rebel or an LSU Tiger. Even making him the QBs coach or some other glorified title . When his brother indicated that he was leaving could LSU have stepped up and kept him from doing so.

Or did LSU feel that Franks was a better prospect and they were sure of signing him therefore keeping Patterson's brother wasn't the thing to do.

As it turns out neither are going to be Tigers and LSU is left scrambling for any QB.

How good would that class be with Patterson?

I never got the impression from this recruiting site or any other that S.Patterson was ever in play for LSU.

Reactions: rsylve
What job will Sean Patterson have at Ole Miss next year? I know that he is the associate director of recruiting operations but is that the job he went to Ole Miss for? If we had offered a similar role to that (not even a full time assistant coach?) would he now be at LSU with his brother coming in the fall?

Les and Cam screwed up, they put all their eggs in the Franks basket and it backed fire, I'd would've recruited Shea only, gave his brother a raise or a different position in the organization. Cam convinced Les that Franks was the loyal stand up guy we needed, Cam only recruited Franks, Shea is light years ahead of Franks, I saw both play, Shea in person and Franks on TV, I was impressed with Shea, he has the 'it" factor, he's a superstar, he has the swagger to go with it. Frank's a project, if he was bona fide star UF would've only recruited him, UF recruited 3 other QB's. Franks would be lucky if he see's the field by his Jr season. It's not a big lost to me because I think we will find a better QB.

Question..if LSU had promoted Patterson's brother plus giving him a very big salary , would Shea be an Ole Miss Rebel or an LSU Tiger. Even making him the QBs coach or some other glorified title . When his brother indicated that he was leaving could LSU have stepped up and kept him from doing so.

Or did LSU feel that Franks was a better prospect and they were sure of signing him therefore keeping Patterson's brother wasn't the thing to do.

As it turns out neither are going to be Tigers and LSU is left scrambling for any QB.

When the Patterson's were here in Shreveport, they were living in a house supplied by Calvary Baptist Academy. Sean Sr. was given a job as a floor covering salesman (Calvary connection) I don't know what he did before they got here but I do know they moved around quite a bit. I suspect that Sean Jr.'s income goes (at least in part) to support the family hence the more the better. Word on the street is that the daddy was a quarterback at Duquesne Univ. and was pretty good but not pro material and never really too crazy about real work. Rumor is that Shea's future pro career is his ticket to easy street. Notice I didn't say college career as a fine institution like Ole Miss would never be involved in something like that.

M

Miles prob thought he lacked the chest to play at LSU. :)

So from the replys it seems that Cam Cameron screwed the pooch passing on Patterson to get Franks when they had Sean right here on campus working for LSU. Teams spend huge amounts of money recruiting . A huge amount could have been offered Sean to stay on at LSU guaranteeing his brother becoming a Tiger.

If that's the truth then it further makes me rue the day that Cameron ever came to Baton Rouge.

Reactions: chevybwoy69
So from the replys it seems that Cam Cameron screwed the pooch passing on Patterson to get Franks when they had Sean right here on campus working for LSU. Teams spend huge amounts of money recruiting . A huge amount could have been offered Sean to stay on at LSU guaranteeing his brother becoming a Tiger.

If that's the truth then it further makes me rue the day that Cameron ever came to Baton Rouge.

Cottonport, you are starting to see the light in 'ole' Cam if I am reading your post right. He loves 'ham' sands and payday.

I've been Cameron's biggest detractor on this board for many reasons...total inability to develop even an average passing game, route trees that have too many limbs missing and now this QB evaluation snafu on top of everything.

Well Patterson never was in play for us, come on guys! He's pro-style! Miles and Cam like to take a runner and make him play in a pro-style! That's what they like! And Frank's came out and said what EVERY QB is thinking "I don't want to go to LSU and hand off!"

The funny thing is, they recruit the type of QB that can give Bama fits yet they don't run an offense that utilizes that.

Well Patterson never was in play for us, come on guys! He's pro-style! Miles and Cam like to take a runner and make him play in a pro-style! That's what they like! And Frank's came out and said what EVERY QB is thinking "I don't want to go to LSU and hand off!"

The funny thing is, they recruit the type of QB that can give Bama fits yet they don't run an offense that utilizes that.
Did Franks say that? Kind of interesting that he would give an exact quote of a repeated mantra on this msg board. I know another poster stated as such; but I spent some time trying to find some verification but couldn't find any. Also, rather surprising that none of the local media picked up on that little shot! Not a tweet nothing but what was mentioned on this msg board. Is there a link or a source verifying that remark?

At this point I don't give a D*** what Felipe Franks has to say and especially if it's something derogatory of LSU football.
It's because of him that we are in this late rush to find a QB.

Reactions: Dabogeyman
Did Franks say that? Kind of interesting that he would give an exact quote of a repeated mantra on this msg board. I know another poster stated as such; but I spent some time trying to find some verification but couldn't find any. Also, rather surprising that none of the local media picked up on that little shot! Not a tweet nothing but what was mentioned on this msg board. Is there a link or a source verifying that remark?
Announcer at army all star game said it when talking about franks

At this point I don't give a D*** what Felipe Franks has to say and especially if it's something derogatory of LSU football.
It's because of him that we are in this late rush to find a QB.

Cotton its because the staff put all their eggs in one basket and let an 18 year old dictate terms to them. That is a glaring difference between LSU and Bama. Saban would never stand for that. Now LSU is scrambling to sign a QB for this class when there was a very good one in their back yard.

Reactions: chevybwoy69
He only looked at LSU to get his brother a job. Good kid. Dad is a user. He will go to the highest bidder. That is the truth. Personally I think the OM offense fits him well but will not help him get to or prepare him for NFL.

Would you say Chad Kelly has a shot at the NFL one day? He's coming back for his senior year...would imagine he is on the NFL radar...

Had a bad feeling from day one with Franks too early commitment...for LSU to allow him to hold them hostage like that is mind numbing.

Last edited:
I
Cotton its because the staff put all their eggs in one basket and let an 18 year old dictate terms to them. That is a glaring difference between LSU and Bama. Saban would never stand for that. Now LSU is scrambling to sign a QB for this class when there was a very good one in their back yard.
totally agree . Same goes for recruiting only one RB .

Yeah, that is what the other poster said but my motto is "trust & verify"!;)
You would have to watch the game good luck it was a snooze fest. Announcer said he talked to franks but if you're asking did we hear it out of franks mouth that's a no. As for qbs be it a 5 4 or 3 star we just can't seem to get it to work. Swear I'm really leaning to bringing back the wishbone, where's Tom osbourne, lol

Kinda worked out for LF7, wouldn't ya say?

You would have to watch the game good luck it was a snooze fest. Announcer said he talked to franks but if you're asking did we hear it out of franks mouth that's a no. As for qbs be it a 5 4 or 3 star we just can't seem to get it to work. Swear I'm really leaning to bringing back the wishbone, where's Tom osbourne, lol
We have the recruits to run the wishbone right now! Seriously though, the announcer should have followed up that statement with..."then why in the hell did you sign with Florida?". Florida's offense this year made us look like Oregon, LOL.

We have the recruits to run the wishbone right now! Seriously though, the announcer should have followed up that statement with..."then why in the hell did you sign with Florida?". Florida's offense this year made us look like Oregon, LOL.
Apparently, Franks got sold a bill of goods and the sale was made much easier by the failed coup! As of right now, it seems like tOSU is going to get Trask! I think it is important to bring in a promising QB in this year in order to end having to throw someone in the starting role too soon! An incoming QB will probably have two years to sit behind BH and then possibly take over the starting role. Of course that depends on how McMillan works out.
It is going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out!

Apparently, Franks got sold a bill of goods and the sale was made much easier by the failed coup! As of right now, it seems like tOSU is going to get Trask! I think it is important to bring in a promising QB in this year in order to end having to throw someone in the starting role too soon! An incoming QB will probably have two years to sit behind BH and then possibly take over the starting role. Of course that depends on how McMillan works out.
It is going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out!
I agree about Franks. But, I believe if we offer Haskins, he is all LSU. I feel the same about Russo - could/would we take 2 QB's? That would be one helluva cherry on top og this awesome class! Regardless, the next few weeks is gonna be fun!!!

I agree about Franks. But, I believe if we offer Haskins, he is all LSU. I feel the same about Russo - could/would we take 2 QB's? That would be one helluva cherry on top og this awesome class! Regardless, the next few weeks is gonna be fun!!!
I could go for signing two QB's but, in the end, I think it will be Russo! Of course I have no problem being wrong!;)

ok.. just because i have heard second hand (from his dads mouth to my uncle to me). Patterson liked (not loved) LSU and they think miles is a wonderful human being, but not the most innovative offensive mind they ran across (I dont think anyone would argue with that). They simply had no faith in the past/current/future system that shea would be able to play the style he wanted. The kid has no louisiana roots so he was shopping for a system to make him the focal point. Period. They chose elsewhere based on discussions with the staff and simply watching the film. Its hard to convince people who are fairly intelligent and truly "Open" in their recruiting that you are going to be different than what you have been for a decade. Just to clarify, his kid brother and my uncles grand kid both play on same junior high team.

Point being, there was no real underhanded stuff that pulled the kid away. He simply was never convinced LSU was the place for him. Oh and i heard his dad is retired from some company. Doesnt appear to be waiting on his ticket to come in.

ok.. just because i have heard second hand (from his dads mouth to my uncle to me). Patterson liked (not loved) LSU and they think miles is a wonderful human being, but not the most innovative offensive mind they ran across (I dont think anyone would argue with that). They simply had no faith in the past/current/future system that shea would be able to play the style he wanted. The kid has no louisiana roots so he was shopping for a system to make him the focal point. Period. They chose elsewhere based on discussions with the staff and simply watching the film. Its hard to convince people who are fairly intelligent and truly "Open" in their recruiting that you are going to be different than what you have been for a decade. Just to clarify, his kid brother and my uncles grand kid both play on same junior high team.

Point being, there was no real underhanded stuff that pulled the kid away. He simply was never convinced LSU was the place for him. Oh and i heard his dad is retired from some company. Doesnt appear to be waiting on his ticket to come in.
And you don't think that Ole Miss hiring his older brother had ANYTHING to do with his choice ? It just so happened that the school who hired his brother had an offense that Patterson liked . Come on man. Had Auburn hired Sean would he be " open " to other offers?

What Ole Miss did to get Patterson was certainly not underhanded. In fact LSU should have done the same thing.

Are you saying that LF7 held LSU hostage? If so, that's not true. If I'm not mistaken DW is his classmate.
Nope. Referring to the "all the eggs in one basket" comment and promising a recruit that he will be the only one in the class.

Kinda worked out for LF7, wouldn't ya say?

It did..but RB in LSU's offense is a far different situation from QB in LSU's offense. Given LSU's rushing stats the last 8-10 years...a RB would be foolish not to want to play in this offense!!

It did..but RB in LSU's offense is a far different situation from QB in LSU's offense. Given LSU's rushing stats the last 8-10 years...a RB would be foolish not to want to play in this offense!!
No doubt 87. But, I'm not going to fault them for trying to do the same with a QB. They got burned for sure, but maybe it will turn out to be a blessing in the long run......

And you don't think that Ole Miss hiring his older brother had ANYTHING to do with his choice ? It just so happened that the school who hired his brother had an offense that Patterson liked . Come on man. Had Auburn hired Sean would he be " open " to other offers?

What Ole Miss did to get Patterson was certainly not underhanded. In fact LSU should have done the same thing.
Agreed LSU should have done the same thing. I am pretty sure they would have, except that he did not want to go here. The way the timeline appeared to me (by recollection), i would bet that shea told OM he wanted to committ but was worried about big bro. Why does anyone think LSU hired his brother to begin with.

I have no problem with LSU focusing on Franks ONLY if they felt that Franks was the better prospect .this would have precluded the hiring of Shawn. No reason to do so.

And Franks gave every indication that he was solid in his pledge .

We are left scrambling because Franks switched so late in the game. By then almost every quality QB in the nation was spoken for.

ADVERTISEMENT