ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Update on coaching changes, searches

Jimmy Detail

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2018
LSU and Ed Orgeron made quite a bit of moves yesterday by parting ways with defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, safeties coach Bill Busch, defensive line coach Bill Johnson and passing game coordinator Scott Linehan. I do not see this as the end of the moves and turnover, with many analysts' futures still in limbo, along with some position coaches that are still being evaluated.

It will be important for remaining staff members to finish strong in recruiting, although guys like Mickey Joseph, Kevin Faulk and Corey Raymond appear safe at this stage. It appears that South Carolina had its eyes on Mickey Joseph, but it does not feel like the Louisiana native would take the Gamecocks up on a job offer.

The need to find the right "fit"is being stressed here. The term seems to be related to personality fits with both the staff and players. This was a huge issue this year, according to sources around the team, so expect the replacements to be guys that are able to relate to the players and mesh better with the coaches on staff. There was quite the bit of division among the staff this year, which appeared to trickle down to the team.

There is a sense of urgency to make quality replacements to curb the damage in recruiting, but there is real pressure to make the best possible hires, so they will not rush to fill the spots.

There has not been a decision made on whether Corey Raymond will take over the entire defensive back room, but it sounds like that is a real possibility. It is likely that none of this will be determined until they settle on a direction at defensive coordinator. That hire's specialty may determine what position hires they make around him. There has been some talk about making a stronger defensive line coach hire, leaving open spots at the safety and linebacker coach positions.

Back to the analysts: Russ Calloway is someone they really want to retain. The former Samford offensive coordinator was battling Joe Brady for a coaching position two years ago, and just a year later he found his way on staff as a senior offensive analyst. Calloway is loved by the quarterbacks and players, and with his experience coaching quarterbacks and receivers, there could be a push to give him one of those positions. Then there's the possibility that he were to assume the Scott Linehan role of wide receiver coach and passing game coordinator. Some of that may hinge on what Steve Ensminger elects to do, whether it be return another year, retire, or take on a different role. His future remains unclear at this present time.

There are a lot of analyst hoping to land coaching jobs this year. This is a natural occurrence and LSU is preparing a list of potential replacements. There could be a slew of openings on the support staff when all the shuffling is done.

I am currently compiling a list of potential candidates at each opening, starting with defensive coordinator. We should be unveiling these lists today and will run through the Christmas holiday.

UPDATE: Steve Ensminger will transition into a reassigned role within the program.

Last edited by a moderator:
LSU and Ed Orgeron made quite a bit of moves yesterday by parting ways with defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, safeties coach Bill Busch, defensive line coach Bill Johnson and passing game coordinator Scott Linehan. I do not see this as the end of the moves and turnover, with many analysts' futures still in limbo, along with some position coaches that are still being evaluated.

It will be important for remaining staff members to finish strong in recruiting, although guys like Mickey Joseph, Kevin Faulk and Corey Raymond appear safe at this stage. It appears that South Carolina had its eyes on Mickey Joseph, but it does not feel like the Louisiana native would take the Gamecocks up on a job offer.

The need to find the right "fit"is being stressed here. The term seems to be related to personality fits with both the staff and players. This was a huge issue this year, according to sources around the team, so expect the replacements to be guys that are able to relate to the players and mesh better with the coaches on staff. There was quite the bit of division among the staff this year, which appeared to trickle down to the team.

There is a sense of urgency to make quality replacements to curb the damage in recruiting, but there is real pressure to make the best possible hires, so they will not rush to fill the spots.

There has not been a decision made on whether Corey Raymond will take over the entire defensive back room, but it sounds like that is a real possibility. It is likely that none of this will be determined until they settle on a direction at defensive coordinator. That hire's specialty may determine what position hires they make around him. There has been some talk about making a stronger defensive line coach hire, leaving open spots at the safety and linebacker coach positions.

Back to the analysts: Russ Calloway is someone they really want to retain. The former Samford offensive coordinator was battling Joe Brady for a coaching position two years ago, and just a year later he found his way on staff as a senior offensive analyst. Calloway is loved by the quarterbacks and players, and with his experience coaching quarterbacks and receivers, there could be a push to give him one of those positions. Then there's the possibility that he were to assume the Scott Linehan role of wide receiver coach and passing game coordinator. Some of that may hinge on what Steve Ensminger elects to do, whether it be return another year, retire, or take on a different role. His future remains unclear at this present time.

There are a lot of analyst hoping to land coaching jobs this year. This is a natural occurrence and LSU is preparing a list of potential replacements. There could be a slew of openings on the support staff when all the shuffling is done.

I am currently compiling a list of potential candidates at each opening, starting with defensive coordinator. We should be unveiling these lists today and will run through the Christmas holiday.
THX, Jiimmy. Seems a lot will depend on what SE decides to do.

Please no Derek Mason. The Cinci or Kentucky DC or Nielsen.
Why would you not want Marcus Freeman? Everything I’ve read and watched point to him being a better then average coordinator. Curious why you wouldn’t want him.

Reactions: jandk
It will be important for remaining staff members to finish strong in recruiting, although guys like Mickey Joseph, Kevin Faulk and Corey Raymond appear safe at this stage.

Russ Calloway is someone they really want to retain. The former Samford offensive coordinator was battling Joe Brady for a coaching position two years ago, and just a year later he found his way on staff as a senior offensive analyst. Calloway is loved by the quarterbacks and players, and with his experience coaching quarterbacks and receivers, there could be a push to give him one of those positions. Then there's the possibility that he were to assume the Scott Linehan role of wide receiver coach and passing game coordinator.

I'm confused. I thought Mickey Joseph was WR coach. Can't imagine we would retain him only as assistant head coach. Which means Calloway to QB coach? Is he capable enough to be assistant OC?

Ensminger's future is clear to me. Only question is how long it takes Orgeron to figure it out.

I'm confused. I thought Mickey Joseph was WR coach. Can't imagine we would retain him only as assistant head coach. Which means Calloway to QB coach? Is he capable enough to be assistant OC?

Ensminger's future is clear to me. Only question is how long it takes Orgeron to figure it out.

Like Brady, Linehan played a big role with the receivers. Joseph does receivers and some special teams work.

Reactions: msptigers1
Did we really need TWO coaches working with WRs ..

We are probably the only team in America with TWO WR coaches

I’m personally hiring an OC that can work from the TE room. It allows him to work in the passing and run scheme, gives Arik Gilbert the OC in his room, allows for a QB coach which is another recruiter for QB’s and ensures that you don’t have to hire a TE coach.

Maybe, we're now a pass heavy offense so WRs are more important than in the past. Remember Joe Brady told the WR room in 2019 that LSU will go as far as the WRs take them. Having an fulltime WR coach supplemented by an OC who pays extra attention to this group could be beneficial.

I’m personally hiring an OC that can work from the TE room. It allows him to work in the passing and run scheme, gives Arik Gilbert the OC in his room, allows for a QB coach which is another recruiter for QB’s and ensures that you don’t have to hire a TE coach.
Oddly specific, jimmy. Do you have someone in mind?

Give the young guy Calloway the position saving money to land Freeman at DC, he also coaches LBs. Go find Bo Davis and throw a bag at him to coach the DLine, Raymond got the DBs.....Hire Chevy to handle daily operations, that fat guy sucks he should go back to the radio.

Oddly specific, jimmy. Do you have someone in mind?

I do not—but it just makes a lot of sense. I hosted a coach’s clinic in Florida years ago and Wes Chandler was one of the guest. He spoke on the importance of staff building and delegating, and he spoke on this topic quite a bit. It made a ton of sense and I’ve had the discussion with many coaches over the years.

UPDATE: Steve Ensminger will transition into a reassigned role within the program.
Could be Ensminger moves to Asst AD replacing Augsberry. (Sp). SE is known as a real problem solver and that position has a lot of differ type problems every year. He also gets along well with people. This makes me feel that Calloway is the new OC. I thought it was odd Calloway took the Senior Analyst job last year. He was a coach on his way up. I think they promised him better if he worked out. He has also been an effective recruiter as an analyst.

Reactions: busyboy
You think getting Gilbert back is possible?

Reactions: RebelBengal

Actually no we are not. I did a run down of five elite program coaching structures in a thread and you'd be amazed of what they do. A couple of them having shared WR responsibilities. Remember Mickey was brought on mainly as a recruiter and never coached or played WR before joining the staff. That's why he's been paired that way. I've seen that structure done for different positions with just about all the teams. Stop saying what everyone else does if you haven't looked at what everyone else does lol.

Give the young guy Calloway the position saving money to land Freeman at DC, he also coaches LBs. Go find Bo Davis and throw a bag at him to coach the DLine, Raymond got the DBs.....Hire Chevy to handle daily operations, that fat guy sucks he should go back to the radio.
We have established that Chevy guy is a master at logistics. He throws more bags around than Santa.

Reactions: chevybwoy69
i felt like the wr took a massive step back under mickey this season. if he's going to carry the load going forward, he's gotta do a much better job. i don't want to have to tweet "DROPS!" at @JeritRoser 4-6 times a game lol.
I also wonder if there was a lasting impact from Sullivan that impacted Jefferson, chase, Marshall, etc.

we literally had the best anywhere at any level on campus teaching those guys.

Reactions: 03_TIGERS_07
i felt like the wr took a massive step back under mickey this season. if he's going to carry the load going forward, he's gotta do a much better job. i don't want to have to tweet "DROPS!" at @JeritRoser 4-6 times a game lol.

I disagree...you had a bunch a new starters and freshman all over the field..not to mention you had 3 different QBs who all threw a different type of football that group was gonna take a step back regardless

So u saying arik is coming back ?

I get the 10,000 catches thing which i think did help. But, sullivan drilled the snot out of those guys on footwork technique off the line and in/out of breaks.
i have no doubt he probably helped jets/marshall/chase with their technique, but that's something mickey likely picked up on. my issue is with the drops. it LITERALLY cost us w's this year. that needs to be cleaned up, never to return. it came back this year in a MAJOR way. that's on mickey...

Reactions: bertrbr2
i have no doubt he probably helped jets/marshall/chase with their technique, but that's something mickey likely picked up on. my issue is with the drops. it LITERALLY cost us w's this year. that needs to be cleaned up, never to return. it came back this year in a MAJOR way. that's on mickey...

Defense giving up 600 yards per game cost us W's

Sullivan was here before Brady. The drops improved to almost non-existent after Brady arrived.
The three I mentioned had the benefit of sullivan for footwork technique, then the brady summer of 10,000. So, had benefit of both.

Defense giving up 600 yards per game cost us W's
yep...but drops did too. we got off to terrible offensive starts in multiple games specifically because of drops. it was a huge issue that ruined promising drives or kept the offense from ever getting on track. it was one of the biggest problems the offense had, especially the first 3/4 of the year. even with the shit defense, we still could've won some games if not for a ridiculous amount of drops...many of which occurred by our best players...and some of those players, like marshall, didn't really have any drops last year, but then had a ton of 'em this year. mickey deserves the blame there...buck stops with him.

yep...but drops did too. we got off to terrible offensive starts in multiple games specifically because of drops. it was a huge issue that ruined promising drives or kept the offense from ever getting on track. it was one of the biggest problems the offense had, especially the first 3/4 of the year. even with the shit defense, we still could've won some games if not for a ridiculous amount of drops...many of which occurred by our best players...and some of those players, like marshall, didn't really have any drops last year, but then had a ton of 'em this year. mickey deserves the blame there...buck stops with him.

We brought Mickey in to keep the coaches in New Orleans happy, Mickey don't know shite about WR, he played QB in college, he need help.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT