ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL What I'd like to see on offense.

TDLSU

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
Hammond, Louisiana
A big part of the reason I was on board with Jimbo as HC, was his base being a pro set. I believe a JF run offense has the flexibility. Hence, I was stoked at the possible change.

Coach Miles reiterated he is going to run his "engine". Rightly so, LF needs to be a main focus of any offense. The ramblings below are not rocket science. Everything that follows is already in our playbook. But, the identity of a pro-set with a blocking fullback and 2 TEs, seem to be Coach Miles preference. Will he adapt and change this philosophy?

IMHO the validity of the "Miles runs the offense and not the OC" observation, is the philosophy and not with Miles calling the plays. I am not satisfied on the way Cameron calls plays anywhoot. Sometimes I think we would see better results if LF was in the Wildcat and he called his own plays!:mad:

Our offensive playbook has everything we need. Now, the argument that QB development dictated a vanilla offense, has some validity. It probably had something to do with Mile's going safe, with a basic philosophy, of Fullback/2 TEs, grind 'it out, run into a brick wall identity. Now, I may be wrong, but this is what I've seen the past two years, probably due to QB execution.

I am certain Coach Miles/Cameron know this. They want to see a well oiled machine. They need to step up their game and have this team prepared to execute. There are ways his philosophy can adapt his philosophy and still focus on his engine. A new OC seems to be on the table, will we see any change in consistent productivity? QB development better take place. Open up the QB battle this spring! Use the backup more in early games. We have 2 QBs with extensive experience,.. Etling/McMillan need their legitimate shot too. New blood must come this recruiting class. If any recruits opt out of their commitment,.. find a place for a few good QBs, to fill their place. Make sure we get DL/LB though!

What I am looking for is much more flexibility and mis-direction,.. translating to consistency/lack of penalties.

Now, excuse this diatribe... I am stating the bleeding obvious, from my perspective. IMHO, what I have been waiting to see, the past two years,.. and something Coach Miles is much more versed in than me...

I'd much rather we keep the base pro set, than endorse the wide open/hi octane offenses.

But, jeeblies, can't we get a little diversity?

I'd rather Miles go predominantly with a two back/3 wides set. Use DW as a running/receiving fullback. I'd love to see a 3-back set, with Guice in the slot. Force the "D" to be concerened with the whole field, with personnel and set... free up space for LF/DW/ Guice/Dupre/all the wrs/TE.

I would love to see a 2 back/3 wr set used, as our base. Or, a 3 back set, with Guice in the slot. Put the reins on blocking fullback/2 TE, grind 'em out, use it as a change of pace
. Keep the shot gun look, and work on creating an offense that attacks the open areas HARD in the spring. Shy away from running into brick walls.

Master a two minute, quick tempo, scripted offense! Somehow clean up the st00pid penalties!

An good example was the second quarter of Florida game. Where did that offense go? It really worked! We clicked on all cylinders. Second half?

Use LF in the Wildcat, more than we have seen. Let LF throw out of the Wildcat formation.

Bill mentioned pass protection,.. if we had a mid/short passing game, it would free up the loaded box syndrome and help with pass pro. Cripes, if Harris can't master the short/mid passing... give AJ or Etling or McMillan or some new recruit (we better snag at least one top QB this class) a chance. Open up the QB derby! Use two QBs early in the season, until one proves he can execute with consistency. Don't put all your eggs in one basket and ride them, with no backup experience.

Cripes two things that worked against A&M were the Guice mis-direction and the Desean Smith pass. Then what? did we see it again? I did not, might have missed it. But, cripes when something works and when the QB is struggling, a pass to the TE is considered one of the safer throws. With the LBs keying in on stopping LF, Smith could have been wide open over the middle, most of the time. Use Dupre/Dural to streak down sideline, play action fake to LF,.. lbs key on Fournette/safeties go over to support deep routes, D. Smith has open ground in the middle. If it works do it again.:eek:

There is a world of effective "diversity" and miss direction in a pro set. I'm sure Miles/Cameron know much more than I do. They know this, it's in our playbook. But, my flatulent aunt fanny,.. we need to see a smooth running offense, that attacks the open field, instead of piling into the stacked box, more than we do?

Coach we need an efficient/executing offense, that has the defense responsible for the entire field. It is not brain surgery. And I believe it starts with a commitment by the coaches to create a team identity, that focuses on a change of basic philosophy, not a change in the playbook. Coach Miles has run offenses, that are more sophisticated. He needs to become revitalized and up his game.

Oh, just to make it clear,.. we need to see the penalties cleaned up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News