LSU FOOTBALL Final Ed Orgeron press conference before facing Kentucky

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com

Highlights from Orgeron:

-- Orgeron says the Tigers had a good week of practice on worked on the areas they know they needed to work on. And ultimately... "Saturday night's gonna be a chance to prove it against an outstanding football team in a hostile environment."

-- "There's some things that we need to coach better, and that's my responsibility. And there's some things that we need to play better."

-- Orgeron asked about John Curtis coach J.T. Curtis. "Tremendous icon," he says, going on to call him a mentor and a confidant. "Despite being one of the greatest high school coaches ever, he's an even better person." "A tremendous man."

-- "It's gonna be a tremendous challenge, but I'm glad we're playing 'em," #LSU coach Ed Orgeron says of the Tigers' first trip to Lexington since 2007.

-- "I think their offensive line is one of the better zone-blocking schemes that we've seen."

-- "It's a big help," #LSU coach Ed Orgeron says of the new initial scholarship flexibility the NCAA is allowing to adapt to the transfer portal.

-- "It was a point of emphasis on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and again we spent an entire period on it today," #LSU coach Ed Orgeron says of some of the play-calling issues, including numerous specific game circumstances.

-- Orgeron says, "I do believe" freshman Sage Ryan "is gonna get a chance to play" Saturday. "And, listen, he has been practicing outstanding. He has been all over the field."

-- How can you get the team to play more physical? "I do believe a commitment to running the football." #LSU coach Ed Orgeron says again that he's seen some of that physicality in practice this week and that it's important to show that commitment on Saturday.

-- Orgeron says that some of #Kentucky's gap schemes — and eye candy — is similar to #UCLA's. Talks about attacking blocks and fitting gaps in run defense.

-- "I think left tackle is becoming a strength," #LSU coach Ed Orgeron says for the offensive line. Says Anthony Bradford has come along well, and now Cam Wire is getting healthy.

-- "Joe (Evans) will not be available this week."

-- Sports information folks hit Ed Orgeron with the "Thanks, coach" to end the Zoom pressure. And he jokes, "Y'all sure we finished?!" (after Monday's confusion), pauses, then hits his "Geaux Tigers" before leaving. Having some fun with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News