ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING LSU 2022 June Class Projections: Julie Boudwin

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
Going to add some notes here soon on these picks. I only have 24 listed by the way. I think LSU saves a spot or two for transfers.

Additional notes: Again, I only went with 24 this time because I think LSU likes the trend its been on lately of having a leftover scholly for a transfer or two plus this also allows for some flexibility for kicker Will Bettridge they offered or any late offers that may go out.

Trevonte Citizen - He's taking his official to LSU this weekend and there's some growing confidence from the LSU side of things about the four-star running back. He's their top RB target and knows it. I do believe the Tigers have some work to do on others in his corner, but this weekend could really solidify LSU moving to the top of his list. ... My second RB is Damari Alston, who has already taken his official to LSU and has a good bond with the coaches and commitments. I could also see Trevor Etienne filling this spot if things don't work with Alston.

Shazz Preston - LSU has been on the St. James WR literally for years now and the Tigers have a good track record landing players from the school, plus Preston and his father, Shawn, have a great relationship with Mickey Joseph. If it's not LSU for Preston then I could see Georgia making a push, but ultimately I think Louisiana's top WR stays home and is the main priority for Joseph moving forward. Other names to keep an eye on would be Evan Stewart and Armani Winfield.

Emery Jones - The Baton Rouge native was absolutely dominant at the LSU camp I watched him out. Remember, he was going to announce a commitment in March but pushed his decision. I think in March it was going to be LSU and I still believe that to be the pick, which is why my projection certainty meter was so high. Pairing him with Will Campbell in this class is important for the Tigers as the Tigers will lose their entire OL next season. ... Malik Agbo has been closely recruited by LSU along with Campbell and Walker Howard for quite some time now. He pushed his official visit to Baton Rouge later this fall. It sounds like he's 50-50 on LSU at the moment, but would be a key piece to add with Jones and Campbell. ... Fitzgerald West is a recent offer for LSU. The in-state DL had an incredible camp but pulled in the OL offer from Ed Orgeron, Brad Davis and staffers. He then camped at Alabama and got that OL offer. With his ties to Louisiana and Sage Ryan, it's believed that LSU leads here, especially if he's open to playing OL at the next level. Notable names not on his list: Kelvin Banks, Kam Dewberry and Julian Armella. I'm not saying it won't happen especially with Davis leading the OL group for the Tigers now, but from everyone I have spoken to it just doesn't seem likely. It's likely that Texas leads for both Banks and Dewberry with A&M nearby.

Quency Wiggins and J'Mond Tapp are the only two DL listed on my projections other than commitment Tygee Hill and I do think the Tigers might have to go after one more DT but at this point it's unclear which name that would be. I feel confident about Wiggins and Tapp both ending up in this class for the Tigers.

I went with two LBs in Demario Tolan and Shawn Murphy but could have added Harold Perkins on this list as well, which I think if all three wanted in then LSU would take them all. Also, keep an eye on Cedric "CJ" Washington, who is likely on decommitment watch from Georgia following his visit to LSU. At this moment in time, I felt best about picking Tolan and Murphy, who really enjoyed his visit to LSU and has ties to Antoine Sampah.

A source says Denver Harris' LSU trip went well and the Tigers feel like they're in a good spot with him, but things could come down to the Tigers and Alabama for the five-star cornerback which is why my meter was at a 5. ... I went with Austin Ausberry as my second corner this time around because of familiarity to the program and the Tigers also want his brother, Jaiden, a 2023 LB. Ausberry took reps from corner and safety at LSU's recent camp. There's a lot to like about his game. It does feel like Corey Raymond is still sorting through his board but 4 CBs is a solid number in this group, and he already has two committed in Laterrance Welch and JaDarian Rhym, who is taking his official this weekend. Other names to watch Azareyeh Thomas, Chris Graves, Amorion Walker, Jordan Allen and Rayshawn Pleasant.

The lone ATH on my list is Kendrick Law, who I believe will end up in this class especially after he visited and LSU has labeled him as an offensive weapon that can play multiple spots on the field.

I also would not be shocked to see a second TE in the class if it was the right one. LSU has had a lot of 2022 TEs on campus this month looking for the right fit. So clearly this class still has some shaking out to do and I think we continue to see some movement for the next few months, so don't be surprised if July looks a whole lot different than June, which is exactly what we saw from May to June.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News