ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Monday morning notes

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
LSU staffers and coaches are evaluating and watching lots of film right now to sort through 2023s and beyond, plus still having meetings about the big board, so it's hard to say exactly how the 2023 class will shape up just yet, but it's sounding like it's going to be heavy on the out-of-staters from early indications and with the amount of offers we've seen go out recently.

The Tigers will host a slew of prospects throughout March and many will be some of the best in the nation, including top tight ends from coast to coast as Brian Kelly and Mike Denbrock are looking for a TE or two for the 2023 class.

LSU recently offered Notre Dame commitment Cooper Flanagan, who called the offer an "honor and surprise." He's discussing it with his parents but it looks like there's a real possibility of visiting Baton Rouge this spring.

After QB coach Joe Sloan spoke to quarterback Ryan Montgomery and his dad, a June visit is in the works for one of the nation's best QBs in 2025.

Here's a new, but not so new name to monitor: Antonio Cotman Jr., a four-star CB from Virginia. He's started communicating with corner coach Robert Steeples, but it's a new relationship. Cotman was in Baton Rouge last summer for a camp where I met him and his dad and I remember being very impressed by him and at the time he was not ranked by Rivals. Corey Raymond was recruiting Cotman and liked what he saw at the camp, but LSU didn't extend the early offer. LSU would move to the top group immediately for Cotman, in my opinion, if he was offered. He's every bit of 6-1/6-2 and has a very similar body frame to Stingley.

I think we all know a few of the biggest needs in 2023 will be TE, LB and CB and it's easy to see that theory backed up by the offers gone out recently and things seem to be trending in a better direction with LSU and in-state linebacker Jaiden Ausberry, according to a source, with Frank Wilson and Jordan Arcement in the mix. Ohio State and a few others are still a real threat for the highly-ranked LB.

The staff is very high on Deshaun Batiste out of New Orleans and I wouldn't be surprised to see an offer eventually go out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News