ADVERTISEMENT

Monday morning transfer portal notes

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
A few notes to pass along that I've gathered from sources over the weekend. But first, at midnight last night was the deadline to enter the transfer portal. If a player didn't enter before then, he has to remain on his current team until December. There's been some new Louisiana names pop into the portal over the weekend that LSU is in the mix for but was also being cautious to not rock the boat with current players. Obviously, the Tigers didn't want any of their current guys to hit the portal and they didn't. The team is in tact. Garrett Nussmeier is staying, the backup OL guys too. Now that the deadline has passed us, let's jump in...

-- Notre Dame running back Logan Diggs is in the portal. A product of Rummel, LSU was in the mix with him at the very end of his high school career but he decided to stick with the Irish back then. Clearly he has a relationship and know Brian Kelly and Brian Polian but he also has a good relationship with Frank Wilson from my knowledge. I do think Diggs contemplated hitting the portal last year but stuck around ND a year under Marcus Freeman after Kelly, and it worked out for him as he rushed for 820 yards and four TDs in 2022. I like LSU in this race.

-- Michigan State wide receiver Keon Coleman hit the portal over the weekend. In my opinion, he'll be the harder pull for the Tigers but they do want to add him to the roster despite the WR room being loaded. Coleman is a special dual-sport athlete from Opelousas. He hauled in seven TDs and nearly 800 yards receiving last season for the Spartans. He's a legit NFL prospect at 6-4, 215-pounds. LSU was not in the mix for him coming out of high school. Prior to signing with MSU, he was committed to Kansas. Like I said, the Tigers want to add Coleman to the roster, along with Diggs, but they'll be fighting many schools for Coleman.

-- Another Louisiana native to hit the portal this weekend is Nebraska RB Ajay Allen, a product of Neville and former teammate of Will Campbell and Zalance Heard. I specifically remember Campbell hoping LSU would offer Allen during his high school recruitment but it never happened. Allen finished with 190 yards rushing and two touchdowns on 33 carries as a true freshman in 2022. He was on his way to a potential breakout first year before suffering a broken collarbone in the Huskers' fourth game of the season against Oklahoma. I think LSU would look towards Allen if things don't work out with Diggs, in my opinion. I don't expect them to try and land both, especially with signee Kaleb Jackson arriving this summer AND things trending in the right direction right now with 2024 RB Caden Durham.

-- Sounds like the LSU-Jimmy Lindsey deal has finalized and the DL coach made it official on Twitter by changing his profile picture. Now just a matter of time waiting for LSU to officially announce the new hire.

-- Lastly, a small basketball recruiting note: DePaul sophomore Aneesah Morrow visited LSU over the weekend and shared quite of bit of her visit on social media. She spent plenty of time with Angel Reese, Flau'jae Johnson & Co. in Baton Rouge. She previously visited USC and is supposed to visit South Carolina too. There's some buzz behind the scenes that she enjoyed the visit to LSU so much that she might already have her decision. I'll share some of the posts she shared. IF Kim Mulkey lands her, in addition to bringing in Hailey Van Lith, what a powerhouse this team can be for a few more years. It's very exciting to see so many fans loving and supporting a women's team like we're currently seeing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News