LSU FOOTBALL My Midseason MVPs

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
OFFENSE - Will Campbell

Campbell obviously missed the Tennessee game with a scary situation collapsing at the Friday walk-through and was in the hospital until Monday. According to Brian Kelly, all life threatening or serious things have been ruled out but they still don't know much about what caused Campbell to collapse. Kelly did say things are trending in the right direction but I would be strictly guessing at this point to know when he will be on the field again.

With that being said, Campbell has been the offensive MVP up until this point in my opinion and that's because the offense has been an absolute mess all season. Jayden Daniels is hit or miss, and he's either the reason they're winning some or the part of the reason they're losing some. The wide receivers haven't played well either, although, Malik Nabers has been the best of the bunch. There's been no clear MVP which is why I have to go with Campbell, a true freshman starting at left tackle in the SEC is really unheard of and he's had a few bumps in the road but has been pretty solid, Emery Jones too for that matter.

According to Pro Football Focus, Campbell grades out as the 7th best tackle in the SEC. He's played 323 snaps so far this season and has a grade of 74.7.

DEFENSE - Mekhi Wingo and Greg Brooks Jr. -- This was the hardest one to pick so I'm going with a tie and picking two guys.

I also wanted to acknowledge and say I could have gone with a few others as well on defense, such as: BJ Ojulari, Micah Baskerville, Mekhi Garner, Harold Perkins or Jay Ward.

Wingo has really stepped up and filled the role of Maason Smith and he's doing it better than perhaps anyone expected. He reminds me of one of those bowling-ball type run stoppers in the middle, on the shorter side, compact and plays with high energy. He's great plugging the holes on the run, in fact, he's the only interior defender in the SEC with a run defense grade above 90 on PFF. He has a 91.4 run grade and overall the top grade of 85.1 in SEC.

And Brooks on the other hand has made quite a few plays that have people talking about the comparisons to Tyrann Mathieu. After moving Brooks from nickel back to safety, the Arkansas transfer has been all over the field. He has 27 tackles, two passes defended, a sack, a forced fumble and that impressive takeaway at Auburn.

SPECIAL TEAMS - Jay Bramblett

Where would LSU be with Notre Dame transfer punter Jay Bramblett? He's stepped up and become a leader in that room and for me the MVP of the special teams has to be him because everything else has been awful all season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News