ADVERTISEMENT

LSU BASKETBALL My three Observations: #1 LSU vs #20 Colorado WBB

mtdenman

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Oct 29, 2021
Nashville, TN
#1. LSU will miss Alexis Morris.
HVL was one of the top transfer pick ups by LSU during the off-season and she is a talent for sure. She wants to gain experience as a point guard, but with the playmakers LSU has, LSU needs a floor general that can create opportunities for Reese, Williams, Johnson and Morrow. With HVL at the point, LSU looked like 5 players trying to create a shot for themselves. A few too many forced or lazy passes that resulted in turnovers. Not sure what the answer is here. Perhaps Angelica Velez, a true point guard, will get more opportunities as the season goes on, but with Malaysia Fulwiley playing lights out at South Carolina and Sherrod for Colorado showing how a true point guard can make a difference, Mulkey will need to find an answer here fast or HVL will have to develop into that player by tomorrow.

#2 Don't believe the hype.
Colorado didn't. LSU played like they've been reading and believing their own press. Credit to Colorado. They played aggressive. LSU did not. Pressured the ball and all hands up in the paint on defense. LSU did not. The stats doesn't show it but it felt like Colorado dominated the board. Angel Reese and Sa'Myah Smith got bodied up really good by Colorado's big bodies. NIL is great and publicity is $$$$ but its time to check back in and go to work. Time to stop believing the hype and start creating it again.

#3 Feed Mikayla Williams and play more of the bench.
Williams was the bright spot. She's that dude and she needs the ball. Williams can affect the game from the arc or driving to the basket and her jump shot is smooth like Tennessee whiskey. LSU needs as many bigs in the paint as they can have. Del Rosario needs to rotate off the bench more. Her mobility might be an issue from time to time, but at 6'5" she won't get bodied out like Reese and Smith. Velez is a true point guard. Perhaps she has some growing up to do, but let her grow up getting some game time minutes that's not clean-up duty.

Smith also played well, I thought. Props. She could very well be this year's LaDazhia Williams

This is the first game and its always great to have your wake up call early. Mulkey didn't look worried and neither am I. I didn't expect them go undefeated. But today South Carolina looked like a beast. LSU looked like a feast. Just gotta regroup and play every game with a chip on your shoulder like you've been embarrassed and you've got something to prove. Because you were and you do.

My .03.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News