ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING News & Notes: Post Bayou Splash

JeffersonPowell

Publisher
Staff
Jun 2, 2011
This is a news and notes Thread with some post Bayou Splash tidbits after having several conversations over the weekend. I'm probably going to have to break it down into several posts.

This was my first year covering the Bayou Splash, all though, technically I wasn’t in place at the time, so that presented some challenges with trying to cover the event since I didn’t have a lot of prep time and haven't had much face time with these prospects yet. So, I just utilized my experience and network of contacts to help offset the late start the best I could. But I definitely wanted to do what I could to get as much info for you guys as I could.

So obviously I would have loved to have had this information coming to you in waves over the weekend, but with respect to Julie and the former staff here at Tiger Details, we had to wait until today to get all this info to you. I know it was frustrating over the weekend here not getting any updates, but we had to do the professional and legal thing and wait until Aug.1.

Itinerary

The day started with registration. After the players checked in at registration they mingled and talked to some of the coaching staff and a lot the other prospects in attendance while everyone was going through registration and getting things situated.

The staff had Chick-fil-a delivered and fed all the recruits, then showed them the players lounge where the recruits all got to play games and experience what downtime in the LSU football program would be like getting a nice feel for the lounge area.

Following their time in the players lounge area they all went into the team meeting room where LSU head coach Brian Kelly and staff talked to the players. After the talk they announced that there would be a competition and games where the recruits would compete against one another in teams so they explained the competitions the recruits would participate in and called out the teams that would be paired together.

They prepped and instructed the recruits on the games and competitions they were about to participate in. After that they all went outside and participated in a wide variety of outdoor games, many of which were centered around water activities. Water balloon toss, launching balloons though the uprights with a sling shot, partnered wheel barrow races, etc.

After the games outside they all went to the rec center and the pool and hung out, did some swimming and just had a great time mingling and visiting with the coaching staff and other recruits.

Overall I would say it was a great event and while some adults might think some of the games and competitions were a little cheesy, these 16-18 year old kids really responded well to it and had a blast competing against one another. They really loved it, especially the guys that were crowned winners.

More coming.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News