ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Orgeron concerns

yat66

Hall Of Fame
Jan 14, 2003
Orgeron, by no means, is a "polished" head coach. Very rough around the edges. A "blue collar" coach. Don't know if that translates to being an effective head coach recruiter. A concern of mine since day 1. Tiger fans that love the coach unequivocally can't see this at all. I'll paint a picture. Can you imagine a highly touted recruit having his final visit with Ed Orgeron and then having a visit with Nick Saban or Jimbo Fisher or Urban Meyer or Dabo Sweeney or any of the top notch coaches in America? LSU is supposed to be a top notch program. But if you think about or imagine the living room with the kid and the parents and those coaches versus Orgeron, it doesn't look good. Orgeron was a life long position coach for a reason. It's all about sales. The top notch coaches have a different story, a different anecdote every time. They can evaluate the kid and the parents quickly, and like any good sales person, come up with something that relates to them. If I hear "one team one heartbeat" or a "gumbo" comment again, this doesn't bode well for LSU. It seems like the head coach is limited. Always been a concern of mine. Head-coaching at this level is a big-time job. And simply put, I don't know if Orgeron is a big-time head coach. And anyone that thinks otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. Everyone should be thinking right now, I just don't know if this guy is a big time coach or not. Anyone who has confidence that he is, is simply in denial at this point. The great unknown.

The coach is on a short leash because of what I just mentioned. If he has a substandard recruiting class, that's strike one. Too many 3 stars at this point. And the decommitments at this time are staggering. Not good. Very different from last 15 recruiting cycles. One thing that all tiger fans should feel pretty good about is the fact that Aranda is on the staff. Miles' guy could end up being the next head coach. He is not "blue collar" or "unpolished". Or would repeat the same lines over and over and over again.

I hope this is just a rumor but I heard Orgeron has a big bass drum with "one team one heartbeat" painted on it. That's ridiculous. This is a major college program not McNeese State or Nichols or even high school. Doesnt work in 2017. That's position coach material not major college head coach material. Very concerned

I heard a rumor that you beat the same bass drum every time you post.
No, I just go where the facts lead me. One thing that is constant is change. And the Sterns decommitment, yet another one in this class, is concerning. That's all

Dabo isn't exactly a refined coach either...he and CEO are basically cut from the same cloth. He either wins on Saturdays or he's gone. All the rest is wasted breath.
Dabo is definitely a young head coach. But he is about 15 years younger than Orgeron and has a national championship. And played for another. To compare the two would be utterly ridiculous. No one in America would say they're basically the same coach. No one

Fival wrote this:

I will start off by saying...we do have some time before next February rolls around, but there is a pattern developing here. So far in this class the #25, #54, #60 and #70 rated player's in the country have de-committed from our class. In addition to that, it sounds like #22 and #97 are leaning heavily toward another school and we know that #99 previously committed to our main rival and we are no where close to locking down his commitment.

That now leaves us only 1 commitment left in the top 100. If we hadn't lost any of those de-com's, we would have the #1 rated recruiting class in the country at this point. I'm just saying with this being a slightly down year in the state of La, we can't afford to lose any more 4 stars, no matter what position they play. I would rather be stealing top 100 players from other schools than the other way around.

While there may be some merit to your point, your examples are off. I would argue that Jimbo Fisher and especially Dabo Swinney are examples of coaches lacking the polish you refer to yet still succeeding at the highest level. Chizek, Coker and Miles also come to mind as lacking polish but having won National titles.

We do not know if Ed Orgeron is a "big-time head coach" but keeping Aranda and Raymond and luring Canada were "big time" decisions. His recruiting process seems to be an improvement and the class he kept together in spite of the changes is the best transition class in America the last 20 years.

His passion for LSU has me excited but he will be judged by his record on the field. He has to win the SEC within the next three years for this to have been a good hire. No excuses, the defense will be top 5 for the next three years.
The judgement period will be shorter than 3 years

Dabo was the Clemson WR coach before getting the head coaching job at Clemson. He was 19-15 from 2008-2010...not impressive. I am not saying Ed O is the next top tier coach in cfb, but I will at least give him a chance. Unless you have sat in the living room during a recruiting visit and spoke with any of the coaches you mentioned above, you really have no leg to stand on. All of those coaches had great recruiting classes before they won a title, so can Ed O.
I hope you are right. But obviously we hear the coach at press conferences and the like. I'm just very skeptical, obviously, about if he has the wherewithal to handle a job this big. If I hear that "one team one heartbeat" crap again or something about "gumbo", I'm going to blow my brains out. It's 2017. The same gimmick over and over again does not translate with these kids. His problem at Ole Miss was he was still an assistant coach being a head coach. At least what he says publicly, I don't know if he's learned from that. When you're competing against other schools, his love for Louisiana, his love for LSU, doesn't mean anything to them. I hope I'm wrong but I'm not sold yet at all. "One team, one heartbeat". Enough all ready!

I for one am really glad that yat finally came out of his shell and shared his concerns about Coach O with the rest of us. Its hard to believe that these topics haven't been discussed yet.

As far as I'm concerned, he's LSU's coach. I supported Saban when people were putting 'For Sale' signs in his yard, I supported Miles long after it became fashionable to mock and abuse him and I'm sure I'll get grief for my support of our current head coach at some point, just as I predicted years ago..., but the truth is, I don't get a say in who is our head coach, I only get a say in how much I support him... and since how he does is directly tied to how LSU does, as an LSU fan I can't see any upside in trying to undermine him or shoot him down. Its certainly not worth it to me to spend the next 6 to 18 months 'expressing my concerns' ad nauseum in the hopes that I'll get to enjoy some distant 'I told you so' in the future... in my experience, the people who endlessly predict doom will eventually always be right. The sun is going to blow up one day too... or an asteroid is going to hit... or Yellowstone is going to erupt... but I'm not going to spend every day from now til then worrying about it.

At the moment Orgeron a known quality as a recruiter and a motivator, and it appears that he's learned a great deal from past triumphs and failures both. He has played a key role on multiple championship teams and has a track record of hiring excellent assistants. By all appearances, he's got world class coordinators whom he's willing to let do their job, and both the players and the staff are 100% behind him. The last game he coached was a dominating win against a quality opponent despite being without his most talented players. Anyone finding fault with him at this point really has to be just making things up - either that or wearing themselves out playing the 'what if' game, and that's a game with no winners, ever.
That's ridiculous. What am I supposed to never judge the coach?!? You tell me when it's OK to judge him. When he's crosses some finish line and then we can all be critical or not. That's so silly. Read that post that talks about all the commitments that Orgeron has lost just this class. Coupled with last year, any Tiger fan would be concerned with that. And if you're not, I question how much of a Tiger fan you are. That's kind of the problem with this head coach. Many tiger fans are more concerned about him succeeding then the program as a whole. They've connected themselves to him, not because he's the head coach, but because he's one of us, a Louisiana native, who loves LSU, and is Cajun. I don't give a crap about any of that.

Yeah! Enough with all this unity and positivity crap!
How long are you going to keep saying the same stuff over and over again. Do you think Saban or Les Miles had teams that were tight or together? It's silly. It's what a position coach says. The "rah rah" stuff gets old from a head coach. Especially when the message never changes. These kids are going to stop listening to this

Yat66, in your statements you state critical negative opinions about Coach O., but you could be a little more objective and give the man a chance at the top job.
I'm giving him a chance. But obviously you scrutinize the head coach all the time. You don't just wait and see. Last year, everyone on this site thought the recruiting class was going to finish up strong, not weak. And we know it finished up very weak. Losing all those players to Alabama and even FSU. And only signing 23. And now losing a bunch of players that were previously committed. If you're not concerned with the recruiting right now, you're not paying attention. I know it's still very early but the coach is going backwards, losing commitments, instead of gaining top notch commitments. Yes, I'm very concerned

Yatt66, I like most of your post, but I don't always agree. You state in your post that "anyone" that thinks he is a great coach doesn't know what they are talking about". Well a more accurate statement would be that it's premature to know if he's a great HC right now. It doesn't matter about his past coaching success. People develop and change all the time, it's called growth. IF he has learned valuable lessons from his failures he may very well turn into the best HC in the country. We don't know yet. For you to say that he is not a great coach is just as speculative. He is the HC of the Bengal Tigers for at least the next 3 years. Let's see where this goes before we judge him. Every school is different, every situation is different. If EO is ever going to succeed as a HC he is at the place he fits best. Patients to a degree brother!
I hear ya. You're right. I just don't like how the recruiting class finished up last year and I don't like all the losses of previously committed players this year. That's all. The guy was hired with the thought that he is one of the best recruiters in the country. As an assistant coach, maybe so. Recruiting as a head coach Is much different. And like I previously said, the blue-collar mentality and how unpolished he is, worries me greatly. The competition is very mentally focused and is very polished and refined. Orgeron is not

Sterns decommitting isn't a concern, if you read the reason he flipped is because Coach Raymond didn't kiss his arse, he wanted calls and text messages daily. We are DBU, we have a proven record of putting guys in the NFL. Don't blame CEO for that, IMO Sterns saw the depth chart and knew he wasn't going to see the field for awhile, blame Grant Delpit for his decommitment.
Why are you trying to justify the loss of a top 55 player, that obviously LSU wanted, and he decommitted. It's a concern. This is a guy LSU wanted and he told them no ultimately. I guarantee you the coaches are concerned or they should be. Read the previous post about all the top 100 guys that were committed that now have decommitted. LSU is going backwards right now. Not a good thing

Once again, fivil writes:

So far in this class the #25, #54, #60 and #70 rated player's in the country have de-committed from our class

But no one seems to have a problem with this except the fans living in reality. That don't justify every single thing. It tells me very clearly, that Orgeron gets in front of these kids first, and is a strong position coach type recruiter, and get them to commit. Then they go talk to an established head coach that is much more polished and refined than Orgeron, and decommit. Not good.

NSD is in February, chill out bro!!! But read this first, it supports what everybody has been telling you.

Sterns’ decision to flip to Tom Herman and the Longhorns has caught those on the LSU side off guard. Sources were not expecting this, and those in Texas believe a decision came early on Sunday morning. One source stated that Sterns was not receiving much attention from Orgeron and Raymond of late, and when he went to Texas’ campus on Saturday, he was completely blown away by the experience, most notably the direction the program was headed under Herman and defensive backs coach Jason Washington. The in-state factor was also said to have played a role.

The 6-foot-1, 192-pound prospect is the nation’s No. 4 safety and No. 39 overall recruit in the 2018 class, per the 247Sports composite rankings.

His subtraction from LSU’s No. 2-ranked class drops the total number of commitments to 15. As far as the defensive back count, the Tigers are still holding tight to cornerbacks Kelvin Joseph and Nadab Joseph, as well as nickel Ar’Darius Washington. LSU remains in good shape for several other elite defensive backs such as Pat Surtain Jr., Tyson Campbell, Jalen Green, Anthony Cook and has been making a stronger push for 4-star Texas safety Leon O’Neal Jr. Raymond is also courting Campbell to play either spot in the secondary.
So if Sterns stayed it would be a mistake?!? I'm confused. Either coaches are idiots for offering with all the others guys you mentioned or they wanted Sterns. Which one is it? Can't be both.

o_O Hell yat... You wouldn't know a fact if hit you upside that asshole you speak out of!:rolleyes:
S.C.
Wow. You got time there. So many facts you just listed. How do I respond?!? Thanks Homer

No reason for this post Yat. We all know your opinion. Let the damn season start and then you can be critical of the coach
Oh ok. And Ill wait a few years too. Recruiting is happening right now. I major commit just decommitted. I'm pretty sure that this site is primarily a recruiting site. I'll shut up though. Hahahaha. Another brilliant post by a "homer". Fair and objective. Great post

could you put some names to those numbers of the players that decommitted?
As I stated, I'm just re-posting another guy's post.

FYI. Dave Aranda is at LSU for one reason and one reason only. That being CEO. ED turned miles onto Aranda. Plus if CEO hadn't got the head job Aranda would be with his old college roommate in Austin.
You are absolutely, 110% wrong on that. Totally wrong. Les Miles hired Aranda. Locked him into a three-year deal. Miles' guy. Miles' hire. A Miles guy. You know, the guy who hired Orgeron. End of story. You are wrong. Obviously. How do you not know that?

Last time I checked NSD isn't until February DILDO!!!
Ahhhhhhhh, really? I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'll keep quiet until then. You too. And everyone else. No more forums. Too funny. Pure gold

blaming it on someone else after it was proven wrong...you're a joke
Who's blaming it on someone else? I just reposted with another guy put up there. That wouldn't be blaming it on anyone. That would be taking the exact responsibility of what I actually did. Simple. Relax, your slip is showing

Who's blaming it on someone else? I just reposted with another guy put up there. That wouldn't be blaming it on anyone. That would be taking the exact responsibility of what I actually did. Simple. Relax, your slip is showing
I would be much more concerned about the head coach who has so much to prove. Who has absolutely done nothing yet. Who you and a bunch of other homers thought was going to hit a grand slam homerun on recruiting day last year. Instead he lost all the key guys he was trying to get. And only signed 23. But you're right, he's a recruiting God. I guess he just took the day off last year. Let's hope this year is different. He is no longer a position coach, where he has been for over 90% of his college career except his failed attempt as a head coach in Mississippi. To be the best, you have to beat the best. So far he is 0-fer. Do you think for a minute Saban or Fisher or any other high end coach for that matter is concerned about Orgeron at LSU? Please. The opposite. More coaches than ever are coming into Louisiana because they feel LSU is vulnerable . After last year's recruiting debacle, why would anyone think otherwise. Orgeron needs to prove LSU owns Louisiana.

In case you "homers" forgot, last year was historic. For the first time in Louisiana high school recruiting history another SINGLE school, besides LSU, got the majority of the top notch talent. Has never happened before. But don't be concerned. It's all cool.

somebody forgot to take their meds today...
From the constant "homer" posts, I would say everyday. It is funny though. The Orgeron fans, strictly because is from Louisiana, are hysterical. Sad and pathetic, but funny.

Jesus Christ just decommitted from LSU.

"it's OK, it's not like the guy could walk on water"

Love the justifications. Orgeron can do no wrong. Beautiful

I agree. But it's worse than that. I would say the homer fans forget to take their meds every day. Something mentally wrong with them. No doubt about it. The real LSU fans, they want to win. Not be appeased. The truth hurts but that's how you actually can improve.

so yatty gets cold busted posting "fake news" and he doesnt respond...so typical. Did he ever post his LSU diploma? @yat66
Children. Sad

so yatty gets cold busted posting "fake news" and he doesnt respond...so typical. Did he ever post his LSU diploma? @yat66
Unlike you, I actually did graduate from LSU. There's not a single question you could ask me on this site about LSU academically, where buildings are located, who taught what classes, any of it, that I can't answer. Who would question if I went to LSU by now. All those posts. All that information. You are truly a dope if you think otherwise. Homer

Ladies and gentlemen, may I introduce Mr. "Homer" Simpson

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News