ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL PoppaJim information update

poppajim

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Nov 7, 2002
Kerrville, Texas
This is Helen Favaron, PoppaJim's wife of 38 years. I have been trying to figure out how to work this site over the last week or so and finally figured it out. PoppaJim has been a member of this forum since November 2002 (a really long time) and it is with a great sense of loss that I need to inform y'all that PoppaJim passed away on November 5, 2023, here in Kerrville, Texas, he was 85 years old.
This was very hard on me and I have not been able to pull myself together enough these past few months to let y'all know about it. He was not sick, but we thought he might have caught COVID! No that wasn't it either. He was complaining about feeling yucky, which he never does, so we went to the ER and they told him he had an infection but they could not find the source. So they admitted him for overnight observation. He did facetime, on my phone, with all three of our children and our granddaughter from his hospital bed for about 45 minutes at 4:30 pm. He told them he was fine and that it was just an overnight visit. He said he would call them tomorrow when he got home. four hours later, during the Sunday night football game, at 8:30 he told me he needed to pee, so we called the nurse to assist him (because I was told not to!) While waiting for the nurse, I decided to remove the table from across his bed. His legs were shaking so I tried to comfort him and as I look to his face, I saw his eyes roll to the back and he was gone. Just that fast.
The doctors told me he had a heart attack and died instantly. I was devastated, it was so fast, so sudden and so unexpected.
He was a U.S. Navy Veteran and he had a full Navy Honor Guard Funeral on Veteran's Day November 11, 2023. It was amazing, until they handed me the flag, that's when I totally lost it. All of our children (3 with their spouses) and our granddaughters (2) were here beside me.
We both loved his LSU Tigers and we went to as many games as we could over the years.
I stopped his subscription from renewing in September, but I will check in occasionally to see how y'all are doing from time to time.
All the best to everyone and GEAUXTIGERS

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News