ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Quick recap of LSU's Friday Night Skills camp

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
Wanted to get something up regarding last night's camp but this will be a relatively short recap because the final camp is this morning at 9a and I need to head out soon.

-- They had roughly just under 500 campers at yesterday's event. I was told to expect more like 800-900 today by the way.

-- Yesterday's camp was highlights by 2025 No. 1 QB Bryce Underwood who spent a lot of time with Joe Sloan. He participated in everything at the camp, including the first QB up at the 7on7 competition that took place IN Tiger Stadium at the end of the camp. That was the first time ever for a camp as far as getting some work on the field in Tiger Stadium.

-- Underwood is in town unofficially with his family all weekend. He took part in the big dinner last night with the official visitors. It was also his mom's birthday and I saw a video of cake and birthday singing so needless to say LSU is going ALL out. As they should. From what I saw yesterday with the way he rips the ball, that kid is special and crazy to think he's only just 15-years-old. He's got the frame to obviously add weight over the upcoming years but he's extremely impressive throwing the ball. See below...

-- The lone downfall I thought was that LSU didn't have any big name WRs participating in the camp. A few guys separated stood out over others, but none that I knew names of unless I asked. It was a lot of younger prospects.

-- On the other side of the ball, LSU commits Ju'Juan Johnson and Dashawn McBryde were absolutely the best defenders in attendance. Both made plays in the 7on7 action and looked the part of DBU.

-- Frank Wilson was also able to bring in all the top RBs in the state for 2025: Harlem Berry, James Simon, D'Shaun Ford and Nate Sheppard, who isn't as widely known as the other three but really looked the part and I liked what I saw from the Mandeville product. He's got a few offers already, including from Ole Miss. Berry and Simon were 1-2 in all the reps as they should have been. They're skills were at another level whereas Ford is seemingly a different type of back more of a traditional power back (I think). I would have loved to see Ford in LB drills.

-- I'll have more later today and the final camp this morning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News