ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Recruiting Notebook: Kelly and Co. on the verge of more commits

Jimmy Detail

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2018
As noted yesterday, I have put in a pair of new FutureCast for Khai Prean and Trey Holly. There are others that could be getting close as well, including a transfer tight end and out of state prospects. Let's dive into that and more in this recruiting notebook.

Khai Prean received his offer from LSU a few weeks ago and it didn't take long for him to get the commitment itch. Prean was supposed to visit this past weekend, but his dad wanted him to slow things down a bit knowing a commitment could be imminent. This isn't a situation of his dad not wanting him at LSU, rather, he wants him to wait a little longer before ending his recruitment.

Trey Holly is also leaning towards pledging for LSU, according to numerous sources, so it wouldn't be surprising to see him pledge in the near future. I almost expect that to be the case.

North Carolina A&T transfer tight end MJ Frazier is on the short list of possible tight end transfers. It is apparent that Kelly and Co. are still looking to the portal to fill a pair of holes in the roster at tight end and outside backer (Jack backer). Frazier is listed at 6-5, 245 pounds and would likely push for a starting job if he declares for LSU, according to a source. Frazier recently visited LSU with his family and all went well, according to sources.

2023 standout WR Shelton Sampson popped up at LSU this weekend and while there isn't a lot of chatter around his recruitment, it is apparent that LSU is in a strong position to keep him home. I haven't put in a FutureCast, but if I did, it would be for LSU.

St. Aug OT Tyree Adams appears to be an LSU lean at the moment. There is a large contingent of pro-St. Aug people on staff and involved in Adams's recruitment and it feels like that will win out. Expect Adams to be a late summer/early fall pledge and for it to end up being LSU.

LSU appears to be in the top 3 for 5-star offensive guard TJ Shanahan along with Texas and Texas A&M. Shanahan is int he process of setting up an official visit to LSU after connecting with multiple staff members--most notably offensive line coach Brad Davis.

I was close to putting a FutureCast in on New Jersey offensive lineman Chase Bisontis this week, but elected to hold off until after he takes a few more visits. LSU brass feel really good about their positioning in his recruitment and a source in New Jersey said LSU is the clear leader right now. Miami, Georgia, Ohio State, ND and others are still in the mix.

There are some people in LSU's football offices that think Neville offensive lineman Zalance Heard could be the top prospect in the state. And they may be right. With that said, LSU has a lot of work to do. Nobody seems to have a great read on where Heard could be leaning and it appears that his recruitment is wide open. It hasn't been easy to line up visits with Heard, but we should all get a better feel for his feelings once he starts traveling over the next two months.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News