ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Recruiting notes after the big weekend

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
Have y'all recovered yet? Between the late night Saturday, time changing and a baby -- this momma needed to recover lol.

LSU had a monster weekend -- on and off the field. Let's dive into it.

In the last few days, the Tigers have landed commitments from 2023 OL DJ Chester, 2024 QB Colin Hurley, 2024 OL Khayree Lee Jr. and then last night flipped 2023 DE Dylan Carpenter but they likely aren't close to being done.

Hurley turned into a recruiter for LSU. From what I've heard, he's been working everyone from 2023 CB Desmond Ricks to 2024 TE Trey'Dez Green and five-star 2024 WR Ryan Wingo, who walked away impressed with the visit, game and direction the Tigers are heading. The possibility of landing Wingo and Green in 2024 would be huge for the Tigers and Hurley will be doing his part along the way.

I have FutureCasts in on Ricks and Green, by the way, and this weekend went off perfectly from a recruiting standpoint. I see both those guys as future Tigers. I also like my Javien Toviano FC to LSU even moreso after this weekend. I will caution that Ricks still plans to OV at Alabama and Florida before returning to LSU in December but still, everything points to LSU as the leaders and likely landing spot. As far as Green, I've felt that LSU was the team to beat from the moment they offered then once the Tigers got Rickie Collins, that only helped things with Green as the two are 7-on-7 teammates and close friends.

Another name in 2024 to monitor is Charleston Collins, who returned for the Alabama game. It was his third overall visit to LSU. The staff has been on him hard and love what he could bring on the defensive line and all indications is that Collins feels the same and could be ready sooner rather than later to make a commitment. Myself and Jimmy have put in FC on him this morning.

One 2023 recruit to monitor for the next few weeks will be Johnathan "Bo" Hughley, who is committed to Georgia, but bypassed the UGA-Tennessee game to make a surprise visit to LSU. He spent time with 2024 commitment JoJo Stone, who is his new teammate at Langston Hughes. I'm not saying LSU will definitely flip him, but it sure speaks volumes that Hughley attended the LSU game and not the Georgia one. If the Tigers could land him, it would make for the best OL class in 2023 in my opinion with Brad Davis already having Zalance Heard, Tyree Adams, Chester and Paul Mubenga.

Additionally, Ole Miss commit Ayden Williams loved the visit, I'm told, and LSU has not stopped or slacked off on recruiting him just because of his pledge to the Rebels. Williams is one of the biggest senior risers in the rankings and he's an absolute baller (I've seen him on the 7-on-7 circuit). I'm just not 100 percent that LSU will be able to pull him out of Mississippi and away from Lane Kiffin. It is a recruitment I'll be monitoring closely and speaking to more sources on as we move along. I still have a FC in on Isaac Smith, also from Mississippi, going in LSU's favor.

As far as the 2025 class, which is clearly a long ways off, that win Saturday only helped things with the in-state guys even further. Players like Harlem Berry, Russell Babineaux and Keylan Moses, who I think has been leaning LSU for quite some time now despite his brother going to Alabama. And keep an eye on Texas WR Andrew Marsh, who has visited multiple times now. He's one that walked away uber impressed Saturday.

LSU has 25 commitments in the Class of 2023. There's no cap this year but I'm expecting them to take about 30 high schoolers, maybe one or two more. I think they'll hit the portal for a few key pieces like corner and defensive tackle.

Numbers could get tight here in a hurry for LSU IF they land some of the big fish they're still after. Here's the names I'm still watching:
Javien Toviano
Desmond Ricks
Isaac Smith
Nyckoles Harbor
Ayden Williams
Tausili Akana
Omarion Miller
Harvey Broussard
A'mauri Washington

LSU is also still interested/communicating with/ or reaching out to a handful of Texas A&M commitments like Jayvon Thomas, Bravion Rogers, Chase Bosontis and TJ Shanahan.

I'm sure I'll have more updates throughout today and in the coming days because that atmosphere and game did wonders for LSU in the recruiting department and it doesn't look to be slowing down anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News