ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Recruiting Roundup: Wilson on the road, new offer, OL signing early...

Jimmy Detail

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2018
There's a lot going on and I'm here to give you the latest.

--Frank Wilson spent 8 hours with Shazz Preston yesterday and his presence at the program appears to be making an impact in Shazz's recruitment. It is basically a 3-team battle with Alabama, Georgia and LSU ahead of the others, and while Texas is still pushing, the feeling I am getting is that they are the trail horse here.

--Landon Ibieta received his offer from Brian Polian late last night after completing his high school basketball game vs McMain. Polian reached out to Landon's father yesterday after reviewing the Miami commits film. It felt like LSU was once again on the verge of offering Ibieta, but there was some doubt because they got to that point before. But Polian was clear in his approval of Ibieta, and it resulted in an offer and scheduling of an official visit for this weekend. Ibieta is a humble kid and holds zero animosity towards programs that have yet to pull the trigger, so all the new offers (Louisville, LSU, Nebraska) approached a kid with an open mind.

With the change over at Miami still ongoing, it was shaping up for Ibieta to wait until February to sign, and that still could be the case, but it wouldn't shock me to see that change if things go well this weekend.

--The angle with Aaron Anderson at this point is to wait until February, buying LSU some much needed time. I am not confident that will happen, but you just never know with Frank Wilson on the case. The LSU receivers room is opening up a bit and that is something Wilson is going to stress down the stretch. Frank stopped by Karr to work on Anderson and sit down with Tygee Hill.

--Big news for LSU yesterday with Emery Jones announcing that he is signing during the early signing period. Jones has a shot to get on the field early at LSU and they may need him to as they look to replace numerous starters along the front. Jones was a little shaky over the weekend as Kelly worked quietly to assemble his staff. Brad Davis being retained as the offensive line coach played a huge role in calming Jones's nerves.

--Kelly and staff will spend a lot of time and effort into landing 2-3 offensive linemen in the transfer portal. They are targeting starting caliber guys that can step in immediately, from what I am told. Kelly's history of strong offensive lines littered with pro prospects and LSU's non-existent depth chart should give LSU a lot of ammunition to pull in some linemen. At least that is the hope. I am told there are a few potential offensive linemen transfers they feel fairly good about.

--LSU is putting a lot of effort in keeping Madison Prep sensation Quency Wiggins home, and they have a shot here from what I gather. Not having an announced defensive coordinator and defensive line coach in place is not helping their cause, but there appears to be enough interest from Wiggins in LSU that the Tigers are still in position to strike. Wiggins will be taking his official visit this weekend in what could be the decisive visit in his recruitment. Keep an eye on Florida surging late here as well.

--There is some talk and desire to add a defensive linemen from the transfer portal after losing so many guys this year. It sounds like defensive tackle is considered to be a tad higher level of importance at the moment.

--I am getting the feeling that LSU still has another in-state offer or two to dish out. John Ehret athlete Zavion Thomas is one to monitor. The versatile prospect has been evaluated on both sides of the ball.

--Laterrance Welch appears to be fairly locked in. There are rumors circulating regarding Arkansas and Florida, but the feeling I am getting is that he will sign with LSU next week. His meeting with Kerry Cooks went very well and he handled the news of Corey Raymond's departure fairly well. We will keep an eye and ear on him, but the feeling right now is that he is LSU bound.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News