ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Report from The Opening

TigerfaninMinnesota

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA, via Portland, Seattle, St Paul
Back from The Opening and while I didn’t get out there as much as I’d like, I was able to watch most of the LSU verbal’s and recruits, but not too much with the lineman. The DL and OL are done in the middle of the field and the coaches and players all gather around so it’s difficult to see everything.

Players:

Savion Smith: Great size, solid build, looks like a safety to me. Plays very physical at the LOS, but has the speed to stay with the WR’s. Didn’t see that second gear, but he didn’t seem to need it. After watching Toliver last year and Smith this year, you can see the difference in a great S prospect and a great CB prospect. Toliver was a glove, played physical, could turn and run; Smith wasn’t as fluid, but still very good. Savion has a big personality, which may rub some the wrong way. He might be difficult to coach. In warm-ups he listened to his ipod the entire time, the coaches were trying to coach up the kids and he just kept playing tunes, singing out loud, dancing. Had little interest in listening to the coaches. He was also quick to point fingers if the secondary had a breakdown. I saw either him or the safety get beat deep 3 times and every time Smith pointed to the Safety. Not sure how dropped the coverage, just know Smith was quick to blame.

Speedy Williams: Tall, lean, long arms. Reminds me a lot of Robinson. He played well today, good hips and good speed. Real good hands when the WR was receiving the ball, seem to get his hands in on a lot of throws, before catch and after breaking them up. I just can’t stop thinking he looks just like Robinson.

Stephen Sullivan: He’s huge, in a very good way, long, slender with good speed. He moves so well for his body, very smooth and has very good hands. I heard some guys talking about him and they kept saying he was just like the Benjamin kid that was at FSU a couple years ago. If he stays at WR he’ll be a nightmare

Dylan Moses: He’s thick, has a trunk on him. He didn’t play much, MLB when he was in, but it was sparingly. He moves well, pretty quick, but this 7 on 7 format just isn’t a good fit for his style. I was able to speak with his father and he said the same thing. Moses loves to hit, he’s a truck and the 7 on 7 quick passes and no running game take away what he does best. He didn’t play any RB so I don’t know what he looks like there, but he will be a great MLB, good side to side coverage and very good feet for such a big man.

Feleipe Franks: My favorite player this year. He was having so much fun out there, it was infectious. He was always the first to congratulate other players, the first to pick up guys if they had a drop. He was also the first to congratulate the other team after they knocked his team out. He’s a big kid, all of 6’5” or 6’6” and moves very well. Not as quick a release as the other QB’s I saw, but he has a very, very strong arm. It was kinda weird; he seemed to have even more zip on the ball when he was throwing off the run, whether it was running forward, sideways or whatever. He’s got a gun.

Trayvon Mullen: The longest legs I’ve ever seen on a kid that’s listed at 6’2”. Very good cover skills; if he puts on muscle he’ll remind you of Sean Taylor.

Devin White: He’s a bowling ball, just thick, thick, thick, and it’s all muscle. Another player that won’t look good in this format, but he’ll be a beast of a RB. Very good straight-line speed, but also quick feet for a man that big.

Like I said, I didn’t get to see much of the DL and OL, but I did get to see 3 reps from Ed Oliver and coach O needs to get on him hard. He was every bit as good as Gary, but maybe he’s not listed as high because he doesn’t have Gary’s size. Quick, quick hands and an extremely quick first step. He used 2 moves and dominated the OL with both. He used that first step and quick hands to get inside the Ol and manhandle him back and also used that first step and swim move to get around. All 3 reps he smoked the OL.

Oh, Kendall Jones, the Bama verbal is one of the largest men I’ve ever seen. He’s a brick shithouse and will be an anchor in the middle for them.

So usually you can tell the players who love LSU, they seek out the LSU fans. I was wearing my LSU hat and Franks was the first to come over. He was jogging by, saw my hat and swooped in to give me a high 5 and say, “geaux Tigers” he’s LSU all the way. Greedy, Moses, and Roddy all made a point of saying hello or, “geaux Tigers”. I watched Devin White walk right by me, look at my LSU hat and he looked away. Not sure what it means, and I know Golftiger says he’s all LSU, but it’s the same look I got from Collins several years ago.

I may have forgotten some things so please ask questions and I’ll try to answer. Have a good weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News