ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Thursday morning notes

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
Keep an eye on LSU potentially adding another transfer player to the roster in Louisiana native André Sam, who visited LSU Wednesday. Sam played four seasons at McNeese State then transferred to Marshall for the 2022 season. In January the safety announced he would return to Louisiana to play his final season at Tulane but then decided to hit the portal once more in May.

It seems as though half of LSU's roster took to Twitter in the last two days tweeting at Sam to join the squad.

In his lone season with Marshall, Sam had 53 total tackles, seven passes defended and an interception.

His old McNeese coach, Lance Guidry, is at Miami as the new defensive coordinator and its thought that the Hurricanes were the main competition for the Tigers. Frank Wilson was also his head coach at McNeese at one point so there's ties to LSU too.

I spent Wednesday night at the biggest spring game I've ever seen on the high school level: Destrehan vs. Karr, which the live period ended in a 7-7 tie. But both squads are loaded with talent and the sidelines were packed with coaches.

Frank Wilson and Cortez Hankton represented LSU while I also saw coaches from Ole Miss, Alabama, Texas A&M, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, ULL, Tulane, Nicholls State, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, UTSA, Grambling, Stephen F. Austin, Arkansas Pine Bluff, Southern Miss, Troy, Alcorn, Georgetown and very likely a handful more that I didn't see.

Ed Reed, Kirk Merritt and Justin Jefferson were on the sidelines, which was pretty neat to see the younger kids all watching Jets. LSU's Aaron Anderson was out supporting Karr too.

I have an interview coming with LSU commit Kolaj Cobbins, who now stands at an impressive 6-3, 215 pounds. He's much bigger than the last time I saw him in person. He was quick off the edge and getting pressure in the backfield consistently throughout the game. He's going to fit that JACK role at LSU perfectly.

Both these teams are stacked with impressive WRs too.

Destrehan: Makylon Smothers, Johnnie Thiel IV, Phillip Wright III, Gregory Wilford and Jabari Mack
Karr: Rahji Dennis, Taron "Manchild" Francis and Tyrone Wilson (Destyn Hill’s younger brother)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News