ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Tuesday morning team notes/tidbits

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
LSU completed its second scrimmage Saturday and now the focus this week and next is on UCLA, as yesterday was the first "Tell the Truth Monday" of the season. Practice was indoors yesterday so we didn't have access. We'll see if weather holds up for today and tomorrow as those are the last two media practice portions before the season starts.

Here's a few notes and tidbits to pass along talking to a few sources and people around the program:

-- As we've been talking all camp, the freshmen WRs have really come on strong and pushed some of the veterans, most notably Malik Nabers, Brian Thomas and Deion Smith. Nabers had a big day in scrimmage No. 2 and literally catches every ball thrown his way if it's in his catch radius, which honestly, I'm not surprised by. I've been saying for quite some time now that I felt he was the most college ready of the group just with his physicality of play and his work ethic. Keep in mind, he did not play his senior season due to LHSAA transfer rules. Nabers told me in May that he's "been ready" to join the team in Baton Rouge and clearly he's been driven and determined to make his mark early.

-- Here's how I think of the freshmen WRs and I've heard others say this as well: Nabers is the most ready now, Thomas might have the most NFL potential due to his size, Smith might be the most talented of the group in the long run and Chris Hilton Jr. is probably the most athletic of the group. Can't wait to see how all their LSU careers play out in the next few years.

-- Something to keep in mind about the young WRs though is they've been going against the 2nd and 3rd string CBs since Derek Stingley, Elias Ricks and Dwight McGlothern have been out majority of camp. Ricks has since returned but is still in a gold non-contact jersey. Ed Orgeron expects everyone will be ready for UCLA though. That being said, everyone I've talked to would still like to see these young WRs against the top CBs to get a fair assessment, but expect some of these young guys to steal reps from some of the vets as the season goes on.

-- Devonta Lee showed up Saturday with five catches and 85 yards, including that amazing sideline grab we've likely all seen LSU shared on social media. Lee is a guy who's done everything LSU has asked of him whether it was moving positions or losing weight and he's finally getting his time. I've been told he's been solid throughout camp but took it up a level on Saturday. We'll have to continue monitoring his progress and see if it can translate to the field and gaining reps against opponents.

-- Also, sounds like Jay Ward and Major Burns will be the starting safeties with one person telling me that Ward is the best safety LSU has. ... The freshmen RBs are the real deal, especially Armoni Goodwin, one source told me, which lines up with what we've been hearing throughout camp. Goodwin is great out of the backfield catching the ball and has speed to go with it. It will be very interesting to see how the RB board shakes out throughout the season, especially if Tyrion Davis-Price's injury continues to bother him. ... Brad Davis has been consistently staying on the OL all day, every day in practice, a source said, which we've seen a few times during the open media portion, but as Orgeron said they still had some protection problems in the latest scrimmage.

-- Derek Stingley Sr. was on The Jordy Culotta show this week and said Stingley Jr. could play right now if needed but the staff is being extra cautious so he's fully ready to start the season vs. UCLA. Stingley had some sort of foot injury, perhaps a bone bruise, per Stingley Sr. He also spoke about Ward at safety and how impressive he's been along with the speed of Matthew Langlois. Just a few additional things I wanted to pass along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News