ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Wednesday morning notes

Julie Boudwin

Managing Editor
Gold Member
Jul 29, 2019
Louisiana
twitter.com
A few recruiting notes to pass along before I head to Baton Rouge for Brian Kelly's press conference at 12 when he'll introduce Matt House and Brian Polian. Tomorrow Kelly with introduce the offensive staff to media at the same time.

-- There's some feelings around the program that the new staff has made progress with 2023 in-state prospects: five-star WR Shelton Sampson, RB Trey Holly and DB Kylin Jackson.
-- I spoke to Trey Holly last night and he will be at LSU on March 5. Also had a conversation yesterday with Shelton Sampson, who doesn't have any visits scheduled just yet but LSU, Alabama and Florida State all want him to take a spring visit. He's also been communicating with Michigan and Oklahoma, he says, so those could also be potential visits for the Baton Rouge native. I still see this battle becoming a classic LSU vs. Bama. Also worth noting, Sampson took a quick unofficial day visit to LSU prior to the dead period and talks to a handful of coaches and staffers at LSU, including Cortez Hankton, who recruited him when he was at Georgia.
-- I mentioned four-star OL Brycen Sanders taking a visit to LSU on March 5 yesterday and LSU will also get four-star OL Cole Dellinger, the younger brother of Garrett Dellinger, on campus for the same date. The younger Dellinger doesn't have anything else scheduled just yet, but expect additional visits to Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue and Pitt. It also sounds like Dellinger will be ready to make a commitment later this spring. I'll check back in with him later in March to see where things stand.
-- Four-star Florida DB Daemon Fagan, who LSU offered last week, tells me he's working to set up a visit to Baton Rouge this spring also.
-- Four-star Texas DB Ryan Yaites recently dropped a top four, which featured LSU. He's been a longtime fan of the Tigers and DBU, although, I wouldn't say LSU leads right now. However, the Tigers made a big push once Yaites told the coaches they were in his top four. He talks a lot to Mason Smith and Kerry Cooks and does also speak to Brian Kelly. He plans on being at Michigan State's spring game then will take in LSU's spring game on April 23. There's a possibility Yaites and his mom swing by LSU in March, he said, but nothing is set yet. Texas Tech and Michigan State sound to be real contenders for him, along with the Tigers. He does not have a commitment date or timeline planned.
-- Briefly spoke to highly-ranked in-state linebacker Tackett Curtis last night too - as of now, he doesn't have an LSU visit scheduled. Waiting to see what he says about possible summer visit or a quick drop-in visit in Baton Rouge this spring, which I know the staff will likely push for. Curtis says he's visiting Stanford March 4, Ohio State March 8, Miami March 11, Michigan State during his school spring break, USC March 26 and Wisconsin April 2.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News