ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL ... a two-QB system, next season?

TDLSU

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
Hammond, Louisiana
I know I will get bashed for throwing out this idea for discussion. I would love to see a two QB approach next season. Whoever wins the starting role get's the Lions' share. If it is Brennan and we are more of a passing offense; also script a PRO/dual threat for Narcisse. Coach Ensminger knows full well the good and bad of a 2 QB system. His days sharing the rock with David Woodley make him well aware of the good and bad.

Coach Orgeron has said we have QBs with those differing skills and hinted both styles will be looked at this Spring. Didn't Orgeron say in his first presser, his preference is a QB who can also run?

The reasons I would like to see a 2 QB system are twofold. The first is simple, injury. The second, all our QBs are similar in one way: they all lack significant experience.

If Brennan is the man, the other two QBs are better suited for a dual threat, run-pass option. With injury to Brennan, we would have to adjust the focus of the offense, mid stream. With the daunting schedule it would make it more difficult, to coach up, not only an inexperienced QB, but a new style too.

There are many negatives about a 2 QB system. I know all the reasons it is not popular or practical. The second reason, is very important and may outweigh the negatives. Whoever "looses" the QB starting gig, not only needs the experience (if we have injury) he will need to feel vested in the program.

Even if Brennan wins the job; Narcisse/McMillan provide another look, a change of pace. Two differing styles demands the other team must prepare for both. Of course, the flow of the game, will determine the best option on the field. If we go with two-QBs the OC would have to walk a fine line and insert the second QB, at an appropriate time.

Now, the ultimate success of a two QB system is determined by playing them at the right time. It is also determined by the talent of the players. If Narcisse/McMillan are not "good enough" then, it is an absurd idea. If, Narcisse is the player I think he is, he is more than capable of developing into a star QB. Are we going to see both an installation of both a "short passing game" and the "run pass option", this Spring? At least that is what Coach Orgeron implied in the presser. That is what our "talent" implies for a true QB battle, in the spring.

Since we will be experimenting and developing an offense, to see which of these elements we do best: both systems will be practiced in the Spring and can be developed in the Summer to be included, even in a limited role, next season.

Despite the daunting schedule and inexperience, I expect to see improvement. It is on the staff to make this happen. A myopic definition of improvement is 10 wins, albeit difficult to achieve. Nine wins, especially with a Bowl victory, is not, IMHO, "too much to ask"; IMHO not an improvement. Our defense should keep us in most (all) games. Our OLine should/could be at least as good as last season (despite Clapp's departure:(). I expect the 3 freshmen to be improved, and even believe Traore will have his hands full, to beat out Deculus. I like Cushenberry and he should be at least adequate, in Clapp's role.

With a strong defense and if the OLine can gel into a strong unit, we have the nucleus of a Team that can line and keep us in every game. I like the receiving corps, even Ensminger says it is the strength of our skill players. Orgeron has stated that we have RB talent now at other positions. Expect to see Patrick Queen move over to RB, he is a fast hard runner. RB will not be a strength, but, it is on T Robinson to have that unit executing and developing into much more than a weak link. To achieve 10 victories, or more...Ensminger must develop the young QBs, that is the key.

We have two different types of QB. All three are inexperienced. It would be a great surprise to me, if we have a tw0-QB system. But, think next season we would be a stronger offense, if both Brennan and Narcisse had a role. With our QB depth we need to keep all of them vested in the program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News