ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL ALL DAY... TigerBait LSU football and recruiting chat 9/7/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike,
What is the deal with the offensive line? is it bad coaching? attrition? bad recruiting catching up?

What if Kiffin is interested? Would he be a take? What about Fedora? My 1st choice would be to throw the bank at Herman and my 2nd is to hope for Jimbo, but what if those options aren't available...

Has Nick rehabilitated Kiffin? LSU will know that answer. Nick still has a good relationship with some LSU people.

Reactions: MAYEAUXLSU
The cake is baked. What can Aranda do or Craig do to change personnel at positions or to change the offensive philosophy. The buck stops with Les Miles.

Ive been saying for over a year that it very well could be that Ed Orgeron was hired a year too late. He's still trying to make a go of it with what he inherited as far as defensive linemen. If LSU were to meet expectations this year and he had this recruiting class coming with what he signed last year.. LSU is on it's way. But what if he had been hired after the 2013 season?

So many storylines as to why Les Miles is in this predicament.
wasn't it after 2013 that alleva started putting the les miles clause in place? any chance that's why we had to wait a year to get coach eaux?

This is exactly what I can't understand.......you say there are "high quality coaches on staff working extremely hard" (and I would agree).
So why the heck would they sit back and let the wheels come off!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody has got to be able to talk some sense to Lester. I mean Craig and Aranda have to be thinking "how did I get involved with this train wreck?"

It's called money. They will get paid well.

Reactions: march_58
Mike,
What is the deal with the offensive line? is it bad coaching? attrition? bad recruiting catching up?

too many misses. If Alabama and Auburn can come into Louisiana and get Cameron Robinson and Greg Robinson, who on the LSU staff can go into Alabama and take their versions of those guys? Instead, LSU takes a few guys from there that neither of those schools offered.

Ive heard nothing about him being interested in LSU. Ive been told by multiple sources he's all about coaching in Texas whether it be for Houston or Texas or Aggies if those jobs ever came available. But who knows. If the LSU job were to become open, Alleva assuredly reaches out to his agent.
I hope Aleva has already reached out to Herman and let him know that LSU is serious about him being the next HC.

Reactions: TDLSU and tiger3232
wasn't it after 2013 that alleva started putting the les miles clause in place? any chance that's why we had to wait a year to get coach eaux?

Nothing to do with that. Everything to do with Chavis and Brick being tight and no way Les could replace Brick with Chavis standing there. Those two were anemic at recruiting but at the same time, Frank Wilson should receive criticism and the buck stops with Les Miles. He allowed there to be so much dead weight as far as assistants who can't recruit.. Now he's got Orgeron, Peveto, Craig but it's likely too late.

I hope Aleva has already reached out to Herman and let him know that LSU is serious about him being the next HC.
why? didn't herman lose to uconn last year lol?

if you want to go with a guy who can win a big game vs a bigger school with 4+ weeks to prepare for it, go get chris petersen out of washington. he did the same thing as herman for much longer, and showed more consistency doing it...but somehow now he can't even compete for a pac-12 title.

give me an experienced coach at a big time program...jimbo, bielema, patterson, dabo, shaw, etc. hell, i'd take a top flight nfl assistant like josh mcdaniels, or vic fangio over herman too. i'd also give mike shannahan a call too...he can bring kyle along.

just not enough out there on herman just yet for me to pull the trigger on him...especially not if i know that ut will poach him at will some day if he does well.

Reactions: tiger4ever2
Contract prevents him from going to a SEC school for a couple more years.
As goofy and ugly as Bielma is, I guess I could learn to love him if he came in here and won. The sad thing about all this is that even though Les has earned every bit of the position he finds himself in, the actual firing of him and replacing him with someone who will do better is no gimme. The only two I see that I think are locks to be successful are Herman and Fisher and we may not be able to get either of them.

Reactions: TDLSU
He doesn't like Orgeron. There were some issues last year between Steele and Orgeron once the season got going. Remember Chavis and Steele are very good friends.
wonder if that stems from them both being at tennessee...got a weird feeling it does. i imagine lane and ogre are tight, while chavis hates lane's guts.

if you want to go with a guy who can win a big game vs a bigger school with 4+ weeks to prepare for it, go get chris petersen out of washington. he did the same thing as herman for much longer, and showed more consistency doing it...but somehow now he can't even compete for a pac-12 title.

give me an experienced coach at a big time program...jimbo, bielema, patterson, dabo, shaw, etc. hell, i'd take a top flight nfl assistant like josh mcdaniels, or vic fangio over herman too. i'd also give mike shannahan a call too...he can bring kyle along.

just not enough out there on herman just yet for me to pull the trigger on him...especially not if i know that ut will poach him at will some day if he does well.
Good post MSP. A lot of meat in there.

As goofy and ugly as Bielma is, I guess I could learn to love him if he came in here and won. The sad thing about all this is that even though Les has earned every bit of the position he finds himself in, the actual firing of him and replacing him with someone who will do better is no gimme. The only two I see that I think are locks to be successful are Herman and Fisher and we may not be able to get either of them.

There are many coaches who can go 9-3 at LSU. There will never be another run of years like you saw under Archer and Hallman at LSU. Resources are too great and there's no Joe Dean .... And remember.. there's no difference between 9-3 and 8-4 in this league. Your bowl destination is the same. In fact, it's the same if you go 7-5.. Round robin of Music City, Outback, Texas, Belk, Taxslayer.

I would take David Shaw alllllllll day

I would take David Shaw alllllllll day
me too...doubt we can get him though.

personally, #1 on my list would be john harbaugh. he and baltimore have had some issues internally the last few years so that relationship is stressed somewhat. i'd throw a 10 yr $7mm/yr offer on the table and tell him to come whip his brother's ass lol.

me too...doubt we can get him though.

personally, #1 on my list would be john harbaugh. he and baltimore have had some issues internally the last few years so that relationship is stressed somewhat. i'd throw a 10 yr $7mm/yr offer on the table and tell him to come whip his brother's ass lol.
We could swap Michigan even. Les for Jim. Talk about give Saban a heart attack.

There are many coaches who can go 9-3 at LSU. There will never be another run of years like you saw under Archer and Hallman at LSU. Resources are too great and there's no Joe Dean .... And remember.. there's no difference between 9-3 and 8-4 in this league. Your bowl destination is the same. In fact, it's the same if you go 7-5.. Round robin of Music City, Outback, Texas, Belk, Taxslayer.
Name a few. Particularly your preferences

I just don't see Bielima being able to recruit well enough to compete with Bama. For that reason I wouldn't hire him. Whoever we get must be a top notch recruiter.

I just don't see Bielima being able to recruit well enough to compete with Bama. For that reason I wouldn't hire him. Whoever we get must be a top notch recruiter.

I have seen some the most abysmal personality LSU assistant coaches have great recruiting success over the 20-plus years ive been doing this. You put on that LSU polo shirt and show up and you're 80% there depending on the geography.

It's the out-of-state recruiting that is the difference. Louisiana is a boon to LSU because the Tigers are everything, but it is also a crutch when the state doesnt produce linemen or linebackers in significant numbers.

Any chance we could push for a guy like Chip Kelly? He could have another rough year in San Francisco and nobody believed Michigan could take Harbaugh from the NFL.

How much would LSU be willing to spend on a coach? Wasn't it $6.5mil that Fisher wanted and we said no?

Reactions: 79tiger
Any chance we could push for a guy like Chip Kelly? He could have another rough year in San Francisco and nobody believed Michigan could take Harbaugh from the NFL.

How much would LSU be willing to spend on a coach? Wasn't it $6.5mil that Fisher wanted and we said no?

That guy is a jackass and no thanks to that offense at LSU.

LSU didnt say no to Jimbo on money. it was done. LSU had to say no to him because of politics and state budgets.

For the past 2 years, over 100 other teams have had a better passing offense than LSU. We know QB play has been a factor, however, most of those 100 teams have inferior talent to LSU.

If D Craig were calling plays instead of CC/LM, do you think it would make a difference?

We could swap Michigan even. Les for Jim. Talk about give Saban a heart attack.
lol...only place jim would leave mich for is the nfl.

here's another name i'll throw out...if he wins 8-10 games this year at illinois, i'd take lovie smith in a heartbeat. dude grew up an hour outside of shreveport and is about as well respected a football coach as you'll ever find. he'd need some recruiters on the staff and a solid oc, but he'd always have his team ready to play.

didn't like the sound of that article you just RT, Bryan..sounds like he already has one foot out of the boat

I have seen some the most abysmal personality LSU assistant coaches have great recruiting success over the 20-plus years ive been doing this. You put on that LSU polo shirt and show up and you're 80% there depending on the geography.

It's the out-of-state recruiting that is the difference. Louisiana is a boon to LSU because the Tigers are everything, but it is also a crutch when the state doesnt produce linemen or linebackers in significant numbers.

I would agree but its is the 20% that matters most especially when we have to face Saban every year. I don't see Bielima ever beating Saban plus his teams only look good when expectations are low. Arky barely beat La Tech. He will be the 9-3 guy you eluded to earlier. Waste of time if you ask me.

Texas looked pretty good in the opener plus their freshman qb looked really good. It looks like Texas could be set for a while. Doubt Strong will get fired after what I saw in their opener. Would Herman pass up an LSU job to wait on Texas? If they want him so badly I would think last year would have been the perfect time to get rid of Strong and hire Herman.
I have been told that he would pass on almost anyone to be at Texas. He passed on even interviewing with several big name schools last year to stay at Houston and build his network of HS coaches and players for when "he coaches at Texas". We all know stuff happens and bullshit walks, but just passing along what is pretty common knowledge here in Austin. He was next after Saban in the list of the big boosters.

Dont ge me wrong, I would love to have him over anyone not named Meyer, Harbaugh or Saban. I just think that he playing chess and wants to be at an icon in college football.

I have been told that he would pass on almost anyone to be at Texas. He passed on even interviewing with several big name schools last year to stay at Houston and build his network of HS coaches and players for when "he coaches at Texas". We all know stuff happens and bullshit walks, but just passing along what is pretty common knowledge here in Austin. He was next after Saban in the list of the big boosters.

Dont ge me wrong, I would love to have him over anyone not named Meyer, Harbaugh or Saban. I just think that he playing chess and wants to be at an icon in college football.

I hear the same thing, but has LSU as a possibility ever crossed his mind or been brought to his attention?

I would agree but its is the 20% that matters most especially when we have to face Saban every year. I don't see Bielima ever beating Saban plus his teams only look good when expectations are low. Arky barely beat La Tech. He will be the 9-3 guy you eluded to earlier. Waste of time if you ask me.

lcool.. there are games like that on Saban and Miles' resume's before they were hired at LSU. You cant judge coaches at lesser programs like that. You have to do your best to estimate how they would perform with all the advantages built-in at LSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT