ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Brad Nessler critical of Joe Burrow's game

chevybwoy69

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 15, 2013
Nessler: Burrow is "Danny Etling with a different number"

In a game that will go a long way in determining the fate of the SEC West, No. 12 LSU visits No. 7 Auburn on Saturday afternoon. Games don’t get much bigger than this in Week 3 of the season.

Both defenses have looked fierce through two weekends of football, and this game may come down to which quarterback can make the key plays. If that’s the case, the advantage probably goes to Auburn. In his second year under Gus Malzahn, Auburn Tigers quarterback Jarrett Stidham looks very comfortable in that offense and is could rise up some NFL Draft boards with a good showing this weekend. For LSU, Joe Burrow has been serviceable but not spectacular.

Brad Nessler, who will be doing play-by-play for CBS during the game, joined 105.5 WNSP’s “The Opening Kickoff” on Thursday to discuss the quarterback matchup in this divisional game. According to AL.com, Nessler stated that Auburn “obviously has the better quarterback right now.” Nessler went on to make a comparison to a recent LSU quarterback that may not excite the fan base in Baton Rouge.

"I'm not trying to put Joe Burrow down, but when I watch film of LSU, I see Danny Etling with a different number,” Nessler told 105.5 WNSP. “It's just another Ohio State transfer that can kind of manage the game."

Etling was the classic game manager for LSU over the last two seasons. He was never very flashy, but he took care of the football. His career numbers of 4,586 passing yards, 27 touchdowns, and seven interceptions in 24 games are evidence of that. The feeling around Burrow, who garnered a lot of buzz with his transfer from Ohio State, was that he could elevate the LSU offense a little more without Leonard Fournette or Derrius Guice in the backfield.

Thus far, that has not happened. Burrow has completed less than 50 percent of his passes in his two games at LSU. He was 11-for-14 passing against Miami in Week 1 and just 10-for-20 against Southeastern Louisiana in Week 2. He’ll have to be better than that for Auburn to beat LSU. Nessler concluded the discussion by noting that Stidham looks much improved in his second year with the Auburn offense.

"Jarrett's the better quarterback by a considerable margin, in my opinion," said Nessler. "The people around him he makes better. He knows the system. He knows the league. It doesn't faze him like it would've in Week 1 against Clemson last year. He's come a long way. I look at it as it being his game in his hands, and I think Auburn will be better for it."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News