ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Critiquing the coordinators

sterlingfoster

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Jun 16, 2004
Offensively - it is still unclear what the game plan was.

Our pre-snap motion isn't fooling anyone. If anything, it just causes a later snap and a potential delay of game.

I love when the announcers are looking for a shuffle pass and we don't do it until the middle of the 4th.

In the first 3 quarters, not once do I recall a rb screen, a drag route, a possession route to a tight end or anything to help setup good down and distance situations.

While we did have a lot of 5 yard runs on first downs at times, our play calls in the hurry up were pretty atrocious. I thought you were supposed to have the 2nd down play ready to go. If a hb run out of a 2-wide set is the call, time to rethink. To many 1 and 2 yard gains here.

Danny threw 4 or 5 balls down the sideline that were not even close to catchable and were covered well. What made Canada think one of these would eventually break without changing things up or that danny would all of a sudden find some accuracy.

I don't reallly recall a true 50-50 ball all night. I'm sure there was one but sometimes you have to let your talent make a play.

Defensively - I don't think I have ever seen Aranda get schooled like that. Personnel issues being what they are, you still don't play cushion cover on 3rd and 4.

We allowed Fitz to play pitch and catch all night. Outside of the busted coverages (those instances where they had a man on screen with no defender) I don't really but one or two plays where I credit Fitz with a sound read and throw.

I think he was too safety dependent. If your line isn't getting push,that is where you help. The few times we brought pressure good things happened. I again don't recall many plays where Fitz made some miraculous recovery to create a big play. His runs were designed runs where our 3-man front couldn't contain the edge. I would rather see our 4 dbs man up for 3 seconds than let Fitz sit back there for 5-6 or give him a short 6 yard uncontested pass.

I feel like we just let them run their offense rather than disrupting much of anything. Maybe we were gassed. Maybe we were thin. But you at least try to make them uncomfortable a la Danny Etling.

Reactions: TigerNbama
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News