ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Dietzel's Experimentations: work today?

TDLSU

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
Hammond, Louisiana
... humor an old codger, if you will.

Paul Dietzel won a National Championship with a 3-deep roster. This LSU Team has started summer with a patchwork OL. (1st day one starter Brumfield). Now is when the humoring part comes in. It got me thinking of utilizing a Go Team O-Line.

What gives me confidence is the first 5 games gives us a cushion to experiment with. Just like Dietzel, Canada can put out a fresh O-Line every third or fourth series. Let the White Team O-Line play the 4th quarter. What makes it more important this year, is the need to get experience on the O-Line for 2018. Also, we have several starters who are nursing injuries, keep them fresher, for the end grind.

White Team OL: Malone/Brumfield/Clapp/Campbell/Weathersby

Go Team O-Line: Charles/Magee/Cushenberry/Ingram/Deculus

Jakori Savage steps in for injuries.

I know all the reasons that the O-Line starters are usually used exclusively. I know putting true freshmen in is a risk. Yet, I if this offense gels quickly, the first five games just might allow Canada to go with a two deep O-Line to give them critical game time experience.

I would love to see the o-line back-ups get meaningful snaps the first 5 games. Dietzel experimented and won. No doubt back-up skill players will see the field.

Is it possible, in this day and age for a two-deep to be deployed, in the O-Line (as it is on Defense)???

Cripes, I would love to see the back-up QB get in the mix too!

Okay, tell me how wrong I am.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_LSU_Tigers_football_team

"Prior to the season, LSU head coach Paul Dietzel experimented with different methods of keeping players rested. Substitution rules at the time allowed players to re-enter a game only twice per quarter.[1][2] Dietzel implemented his "three-platoon system," which split the team into the "White Team," the "Go Team," and the "Chinese Bandits."[3] Each platoon was a unit consisting of eleven players."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News