ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING "Elite" Class.

TDLSU

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
Hammond, Louisiana
Gentlemen, Ladies,.. Even if we sign Marvin, it may not be a true "elite" class. Mike stated, it will be a solid LSU class; but, things would have to fall in place, as in MW signing and others... Chaisson, for one. His stance is valid. An elite class, is a strict paradigm. IMHO every elite class should pull in a top tier LT, as well as a top tier DLineman. Every "elite" class should address every Team need.

The great thing about being a fan, we are not obliged to agree with MIke. We are not obliged to agree with anyone! LOL! Although, it is most often foolish to disagree with Mike, on things pertaining to LSU. But, I'll take my stab.

I have seen signing classes come and go, for decades. Mike is correct. This class, as it stands, is a solid,.. not quite "elite" (Double Crap! Cam Akers (along with MW) was so close to assuring an "elite" moniker.) The "unique perspective" aspect of each fan; allows me to differ, on Mike's more "official" stance. In my eyes, it is elite.

One standard, when judging a class (in 4 year window), is the percentage of "signees" who have careers of "impact". That being, which become starters. A few more become significant contributors, without ever starting, though. As a fan, I can loosen my standards and weigh how this (12-18 "impact" signees) affects an "elite" status. Generally speaking, over the decades, about half, or a few more, make the starting line-up. If you get 15 kids in a class that make an impact, even if it is only one season, that is a good class.

As a fan, don't have to be as accurate, nor anal, with any perspective. so, I'll take a leap and say this class is elite, IMHO. How so, one might inquire? One way I judge a class, is filling needs. This class struck out at some positions, RB and TE come to mind, not a good start. Focusing in on the top half of the class, it is filled with elite talent. The top dozen in this class, will become great Tigers. The top dozen will continue the "talent train", into Tiger town.

As far as this class, we have invested in a great LB core ("elite") , huge need. Safety was a need, we have elite talent coming in. Jacoby Stevens, Grant Delpit, Todd Harris are all starting material, so "elite" there". QB was a position of need,.. signed two good ones.

Always a need: OLine, there is starting material in that bunch. Who knows, which will develop? Go out on a limb and say, there are 4 who will be significant starters. Deculus, Ingram, and Saahdiq Charles, are a talented trio (elite). Lack of a true top tier LT? (next year must get)

DLine: Aranda came aboard, the "hot debate", who would play NG, in Aranda's 3-4. It was obvious we needed to recruit NG. Enter Tyler Shelvin. Last year's DT/DE class was strong. An "elite" Nose Guard, was a must, to shore up future starting lines.

As I see it, the top dozen (or so) who, percentage wise, will become significant contributors, are an extremely talented group. When all is said and done, we have stockpiled a core of future starters, with significant upside.

For Mike, elite status, mainly examines the top 20, or so. I don't have to do that, LOL!

As a fan, I can just be "thrilled" to think about the guys who will see the field. Among the "starting group" from this class, there is a huge bright spot!. The inside of defense, is stone cold amazing: Safety! ILB! NG!.

Next year we will have to hit if big with RB, TE, LT, CB, and as usual QB and DL.. As far as what the projected starters look like? What makes this class "elite" for me: the middle of Aranda's "D" is insane.

I like this class, solid group of talent. We have brought in a good group, of potential starters. I see elite talent, manning Aranda's middle! So, I give it an "elite" ranking; due to solidifying the most critical aspect of a winning "D".

Next year, we need to address other areas,... percentage says, a dozen or so of those, will eventually start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News