ADVERTISEMENT

LSU BASEBALL Florida Series and Beyond

Wildtigers10

Hall Of Fame
Jan 26, 2006
Shreveport, Louisiana
Up until the bottom of the 7th of the second game against Arkansas, if you had asked me what is the likely outcome of the Florida series to end the regular season, I would have said we will get swept. I would have certainly not given us much chance to win the series and a single win would be great.

Ever since that baby opossum walked into left field, this LSU ball club has been playing better, hitting better and pitching better. The first six innings of that game were a complete meltdown and maybe they hit rock bottom. Coming back and winning that game changed the mentality of the group, as they have been playing much looser since then. Blame it on karma, attitude adjustment, superstition or hail the cry, "Rally Opossum;" LSU baseball has looked like it's former self the last nine games.

So, at this writing, I now like our chances of taking two of three from Florida. I think this team will be very determined to play well and like they have something to prove. I like LSU's chances of hosting a regional. As I have said in the past, hosting a regional should be a like a birthright for LSU baseball, a given.

Mainieri has a very good track record in Hoover. So, with the right draw, LSU could very well win the SEC tournament. It would be nice to meet teams like Texas A&M, Ole Miss and Mississippi State to even up those series with them. Right now those teams have an advantage of having won the series with us. If we could even them up in the tournament, that makes for less argument on the hosting side.

Finally, I want to say that I was wrong about this team. They have turned out to be fun to watch the last part of this season. I like the grit and fight they have shown. Kramer Robertson has made me a believer. That kid has been through a ton this season and he has fought through it. He has played some sparkling defense at shortstop and made very few errors, which means he makes all of the routine plays and makes some highlight reels as well. For all of those that have called me out this season, I want you to know I don't shirk off my early season comments; I own them and say I was wrong. Though it was a process, I've enjoyed LSU baseball this year, struggles and all.

I look to be in Baton Rouge Thursday and hope to get myself one of those opossums in the book store. Gonna need him to hang out for all of the games from here on out. Geaux Tigers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News