ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL I'm Not sold on Jimbo. Never have been.

starpressley

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2006
Jimbo was an OK OC when he was here(many on this board complained about the mundaneness of the offense then as well while he was under Saban). I believe his Saban Connection got him overrated and put into position to be an Interim HC at a major school with great recruiting ties and his name as well as the schools name kept in the national hunt each year based not on his coaching skill(pretty much exactly what many of you think about Les). The difference is Les Lasted 12 years and I think Jimbo will likely get exposed in 3 because we're in the same Division as Saban. If we get Jimbo and he's a bust our program could legitimately fall into mediocracy(which may be what we deserve). Jimbo has a strong program and it looks good on paper but winning in the Acc and winning in the SEC against Saban are not the same thing. He loses or nearly loses big games(barely beat auburn in the National Championship game that could've gone either way) when he had a talent advantage, got beat by Houston, and DESTROYED/exposed by Louisville(which I expect more of). I may be wrong but I don't trust it. I think it's Tom Herman with a possibility of a crazy perfect season run Under Ed O or bust.

Here's how this can play out. Perhaps the Negatigers were right and Miles Held back the offense which will pretty much mean that now that he's gone we can and possibly will win the rest of our games based on the talent and seniority on this team alone(mixed with the fact that ED O was able to have more success as an interim HC his last stint than the Kiffen did and he has more talent here than was at USC then). We are better than every team on our schedule including Bama(we almost match them in talent and definitely beat them in seniority this year) on paper. Ed O is an amazing recruiter and motivator which means if he wins out or almost wins out and beats bama(he can't lose more than 1 game) and keeps the #1 recruiting class he can almost force the powers that be to keep him(Think recruits). I like Tom Herman over him. But if we miss on Herman we need to hope he wins out. I think his recruiting ability and the talent of this stacked program can keep in at high position. We don't need to try to rebuild if we ever expect to win in the same division as Saban. We need to climb immediately. We just fired a head coach while talent wise we're likely #2 in the country. If Herman isn't completely tied to the idea of TX I think he may take 7MM at LSU over 9MM at Texas because here he's practically guaranteed to win. Guarantees or invaluable and hard to come by in coaching changes...this position to a HC is almost 1 in 1,000,000 because of timing. If we get Jimbo we will have a pretty strong recruiting class the next few years(better than he's done at FSU I suspect) but I also suspect we lose Ed O and thus lose many of the recruits currently committed and if we even take a slight dip I don't see him beating Saban. He'd have to be announced early, recruit hard, hope to keep Ed O in order to win against Bama in my opnion(I've been wrong before). Otherwise I hope he wont end up simply being a repeat of Les for a few years and possibly eventually Larry Coker us.

Tom Herman on the other hand is such a hot name right now as long as he knows how to truly recruit we'll actually out recruit Bama for at least 2 years straight and if he wins a National Title within 3 we'll keep that momentum for a long time.

My Wishlist:
1. Tom Herman (Preferably keeping Aranda and if possible Coach O but Coach O is not required in this scenario) = We win.
2. Ed O Wins out this year and brings in the #1 recruiting class which will likely result in us winning out next year as well and then we have a program that's unbeatable for at least 4 years.
3. Jimbo Fisher (we need to keep Aranda and O for this to work I believe or I pray for the best)
4. Bust
I'm not interested in Briles and I don't think Recruits will flock to him. He wont beat Saban without the top recruits.

The only option I haven't mentioned involves us pulling a rabbit out of the hat and getting someone no one expected (A major NFL head coach ((current, fired or retired)) or Saban himself) -- Which needs to be considered a real possibility not just because of the money in the program which can legitimately match many NFL programs but also because of the location, recruiting, timing and ability to win immediately.

These are my thoughts.

I'm heartbroken at the Loss of CLM. I have tremendous respect for him as a coach and a man and even more respect for his selfless love for LSU. Having said that I understand why change was necessary and clock management kind of sealed the deal. But keep this in mind just as most of us have a soft spot for Miles(Even those who wanted him gone for a long time) recruits have it 10x worse bc not only do they love and trust him, they grew up only knowing HIM to be the face of LSU. These guys were 5 when he was hired! It's like attempting to explain Vietnam or The threat of Communism to this generation...it wont compute. Les = LSU. That's a hard milestone to simply climb over unless we make a HUGE hire.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News