ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Latest out of Amite

samspiegelman

1st Team All-America
Staff
Jul 31, 2018
Just spoke with a well-placed source in Amite who spent last evening with the Sopsher and Lee families. Here is the latest intel I'm hearing on the two 4-star prospects.

Ishmael Sopsher

Sopsher and his family will head to Alabama this weekend, but there is waning confidence on the Crimson Tide side that they will land the Amite 4-star on NSD. I am told the more likely scenario is that they hold onto Byron Young -- who has been committed since July 4 but did not sign in December -- and LSU gets Sopsher.

Texas A&M is the team I'm told is the sleeper here to watch.

There is growing confidence on the LSU side that they win the Sopsher sweepstakes, but it remains unclear whether Rodney will or will not be a part of this package deal. Ed Orgeron has a track record of signing the No. 1-rated DL in the state since he has been with the Tigers -- as the position coach and the head coach -- and the notion of changing the Amite narrative and winning a recruiting battle with Alabama has remained a priority.

I currently feel good about LSU's chances of landing Sospher, especially since they will host the family for the final official visit weekend ahead of Signing Day.

Devonta Lee

A source put it as bluntly as this: Lee is 60-40 going to sign with LSU over -- wait for it -- Kentucky.

Lee has not taken an official visit since visiting Kentucky last month before the early signing period. He will use his third official visit to go to LSU with the Sopshers right before NSD.

With that said, Kentucky is expected to host the 4-star ATH again this weekend for an unofficial visit. It's his second visit in as many months, so read into it what you will, and Kentucky's confidence is growing. The coaches have visited with the Amite standout WR and have told him not to mention the Wildcats as a legit contender. They believe there's a good chance he will announce UK on NSD in a homerun surprise victory.

Having said that, Lee has expressed he feels good about UK and wanted to attend the UK-KU basketball game this weekend. It is driving distance and he will go with QB signee Amani Gilmore, his high school QB, and that is also playing a key role in this decision.

LSU remains confident in its ability to land Lee, and that puts a lot on the final official visit weekend before NSD. Lee's mom is hopeful her son remains close to home, and that's something Lee has to strongly account for, and the fact that the Tigers have been in the driver's seat here dating back to the summertime.

Lee has multiple commitment video finishes already in stone; he just has to make his mind up. It's either LSU or Kentucky, and I would not be surprised if either SEC team gets the win here. The Tigers have Plan Bs and Cs in George Pickens and other DBs and ATH standing by (not saying Pickens wants in, but LSU is pushing behind the scenes), but Lee remains a priority as the in-state target.

Again, both sides feel confident and I would not be surprised if either LSU or UK is the call. A lot will hinge on these next two visits, but with LSU getting the last crack at Lee before Feb. 6.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News