ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING LSU jumps on elite 2021 CB Isaiah Johnson

Jimmy Detail

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2018
https://lsu.rivals.com/news/lsu-offer-leaves-an-impression-on-premier-cb-isaiah-johnson

Isaiah Johnson hadn’t ever talked to anyone from the LSU coaching staff and didn’t even watch the Tigers thrashing of Oklahoma in the Peach Bowl to advance to the National Championship game next week in New Orleans.

That didn’t stop defensive backs coach Corey Raymond from extending a scholarship offer over the phone Sunday afternoon.

“First ever contact with Coach Raymond was Sunday night,” Johnson said. “I most definitely was surprised that I got a scholarship offer. He and I talked about whether or not I would consider coming to LSU, who I am as a person, we talked about my family and stuff like that. Coach Raymond said he liked what he saw on me on film and that I can play the position well. He saw what I could be and become.

“We talked about ‘DBU’ a whole lot. It was one of my first questions, one of the first things that I brought up.”

The 6-2, 185-pound Johnson is a four-star prospect according to the latest Rivals.com rankings. The eighth-best cornerback in the country, Johnson is also listed as the top overall player in the state of West Virginia according to those same rankings.

“I don’t know a whole lot about LSU but I’m going to start learning quickly,” he said. “Right now, all I know is that they are ‘DBU’ and they want me. That’s all I can honestly tell you right now. I am going to be watching the National Championship game for sure now next Monday night. My attention is going to be on the defensive backs, but other than that I am going to watch it like any other fan would.

“I need to start studying more about LSU. They are a prestigious school and I would love to go there, so I most definitely am going to have to start finding more about them.

“I’m a 6-2, 185-pound on a good day type of cornerback that nobody can beat. That’s how I look at myself. I love being put on an island and pressing. I can be an off coverage back, but I love being put on an island. I love making plays.”

When it comes to his recruiting process, Johnson said he is nowhere near ready to make any sort of a decision.

“I’m just chilling,” he said. “But I can definitely tell you this, I will most definitely be making a trip to Baton Rouge this spring.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News