ADVERTISEMENT

Lsu's Rival

DawgsRule

2nd Team All-America
Jul 12, 2001
According to ole miss you are constantly refered to as their "true" rival. I was just wondering what Lsu fans thought of this? Do y'all consider them your true rival or is it someone else?

Originally posted by DawgsRule:
According to ole miss you are constantly refered to as their "true" rival. I was just wondering what Lsu fans thought of this? Do y'all consider them your true rival or is it someone else?
That's one of the reasons why our games with them always seem to be closer than they should be - we're their superbowl it seems, whereas OM is a complete afterthought to most LSU fans... I mean, their mascot is the Louisiana Black Bear for Christ's sake.

I'd say Alabama due to the fact that Nick Saban is there and the winner of our game is usually the SEC champion, but that's all recent history and lacks the tradition of a 'rivalry' - and they have Tennessee and Auburn already as 'traditional' rivalries.

I don't know that we have one in the modern era. For Ole Miss to truly be considered a rival they'd have to be relevant, and they haven't won even an SEC championship in football for going on half a century now...

I am going to give those Bad News Bears their due since they have been beating us way too often over the last decade. It is what it is I guess. I was a little ticked off when I saw that our schedule makers decided that it would be a groovy idea to play 8 or 9 straight weeks without a break before lining up against Ole Miss for at least the second year in a row. It's like they just refuse to see them as a threat even after last year. That darned team would have started last year's game as a huge underdog even without half of their starters missing. Even though LSU repeatedly continued to knock the rest of their players out of the game they still won.

But even after that disappointment, lets be real... their last proud moment is represented by a banner that claims them to be "Co-Champions of the SEC West" in '03. This is the biggest example of why they can't be our rival. They just aren't on LSU's level in any way. I respect the Ole Miss the way that they played last year and every year before that one as well but that doesn't make tem our rivals. We are simply their trophy win of late.

Honestly, I was very happy to see A+M enter the SEC because I was hoping that they would step up and be a true rival for my Tigers but even with an offense that will go down as their best in decades, they couldn't stand toe to toe with LSU. I just don't see A+M competing with LSU until they get a new coach.

So I guess that we have no true rival. We will play our two "Rival" games against Ole Miss and Arky for each of those game's trophies and they will play us very hard as usual but we are gong to be waiting patiently for A+M to finally come around and stand toe to toe with us like a rival should and maybe then we can make some history. Maybe then we can grow some grudges and a little controversy on the side and finally give LSU that rival that they've been missing.

Ole Miss has been the rival over the many years. In the early 2000's it was Auburn, now Bama but one team remains constant, that's OM. The fact we don't seem to treat it as such explains why we lose to them more than we should and most games are close. I wish the fanbase and team would wake up to the fact OM treats it as a rival game and maybe we wont have what happened last year and lose to a team with so many starters out

DawgsRule:

It's a generational perception. My Father and Uncle, born in the early 40's, still view Ole Miss that way due to the Vaught/Dietzel-Mac years. For LSU fans who don't have relatives that engrained the Ole Mss-LSU history and for even some like Me, who have family that view Ole Miss as a rival, Ole Miss is not a rival. It is just and SEC game that you play every year like most others. You view them as rivals in generic sense that you know you need to win the game, it will be tough, but no different than playing Miss. State, Arkansas, UK, etc. Auburn at times during the last 15 years and Bama are the most intense games in terms of fan intensity from top to bottom, but those games can't be viewed as rivals in the historic sense of the term.

As others have noted, Ole Miss as a University and Program longs to beat LSU and the games reflect their attitude towards LSU vs how LSU, as a program seems to get ready for them. Hence, while LSU going back to the start of the Saban-Miles era is 10-4 vs Ole Miss, the games tend to be very close and there were 2 Ole Miss teams that LSU should not have loss 2, 2009 and last year, but as I said, LSU is their Superbowl, for LSU it is a tough SEC-West game just like Arkansas, Miss. State, etc.

Originally posted by DawgsRule:
Yep. That's the only team in the conference where the "rivalry" feeling is more or less mutual.

"For Ole Miss to truly be considered a rival they'd have to be relevant, and they haven't won even an SEC championship in football for going on half a century now..."

Ole Miss tied LSU 2003 regardless of who the paperwork champion lists as. Much as LSU is the co-national champion 2011-12..

Ole Miss is a victim of civil rights era politics aka the 1960's along with Alabama's neo Nazi mind-set as regards dominating the SEC by any means legal or otherwise. This as if the SEC were a warzone and they a army..

The dollars are not there for Mississippi.

It seems as if LSU is Ole Miss' and Arkansas' Super Bowl, much like Alabama is LSU's Super Bowl lately. It's the one game LSU seems to really gets ready for.

They play us like we're their Super Bowl... we play them like they're a team from Mississippi, sandwiched somewhere between bigger opponents like Florida and Alabama. Usually, it makes for an interesting game.

Originally posted by LSUwiggz:
They play us like we're their Super Bowl... we play them like they're a team from Mississippi, sandwiched somewhere between bigger opponents like Florida and Alabama. Usually, it makes for an interesting game.
If so, maybe LSU, fans and team, needs to quit pretending that they're not a rival.

Originally posted by Tiger Stripe:
Originally posted by LSUwiggz:
If so, maybe LSU, fans and team, needs to quit pretending that they're not a rival.
I concur, Tiger Stripe. Alabama and Florida are not the only games on the schedule. It's a twelve-game schedule, not a two-game schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT