ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Nose Guard

Bill_D

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jun 26, 2001
Houston, TX
Though everyone is thinking what changes we see in Spring Practice in the passing game is the most important question to be answered My money for that question is the Nose Guard position in the 3-4. To make a 3-4 work you absolutely have to have a nose guard which are strong in at least 2 of 3 attributes. (Big, Strong, fast) All 3 would be better. But that is extremely rare.

Though it has not been discussed too much, I believe I would suggest Godchaux. From observing his play there is little doubt he is the strongest and most agile if not the biggest. I remember (a long time ago) when the old Houston Oilers went to the 3-4 Bum Phillips selected Curly Culp to be the nose guard. Curly had been a DE in the 4-3 and was not the biggest DL but Bum liked the fact he was so strong and agile that he would consume a minimum of 2 OL on each play. If I remember correctly Culp was all NFL a number of times at the position. I see more of these qualities in Godchaux then I do in the other candidates.

I am unaware of the qualities of Alexander and Lawrence and what they might contribute at NG. One or both of them of them might be an excellent backup. I doubt if a freshman can play full starter time at NG because he needs to be physically conditioned and trained. I would like to see LSU working with 3, maybe 4 NG with two being very satisfactory to play most of the snaps and the 3rd and 4th being candidates for a future starter.

It would not surprise me to see Logan be a starter at one of the DE by at least the middle of the season if he is what they project. He is the right size and mobility. He will probably need to get stronger.

Reactions: mansura and S Clary
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News