ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Nuggets: On LB Shanon Reid & QB DeAndre Johnson (JUCO)

michael l

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 2, 2001
For those that don't know me I'm Michael Langston with Warchant on the FSU rivals site. Anyway, I figured I would chime in on these kids in Fort Myers (Fla) Dunbar LB Shanon Reid and also Juco QB DeAndre Johnson. I'm very close with both of these kids. Anyway, here's some of the stuff I have on both of them.

I'll start with Shanon Reid. For those that aren't aware Shanon will be officially visiting LSU this weekend. The LSU staff actually stopped by earlier this week and they have been heavily involved with Reid the last two weeks I would have to say. Very good kid, hard worker and a kid that has developed his game a lot as a safety and a linebacker. Shanon can play either position, but is probably the most natural at linebacker. He has good wheels and his instincts, closing speed is what jumps out at you about his game. I put a few clips below for you guys. Click on the first clip, which is 8:00 min long.

LB Shanon Reid in action

Now Shanon has also got some interest from Auburn and they also offered. Tennessee, Michigan have also offered. All schools have come by the school this week I'm told. In fact, Butch Jones with Tennessee will be there tomorrow. With that said I feel very confident about LSU's chances at this point from what I hear. Also, a decision from Reid is likely to happen next week sometime. I think he would have a much higher ranking, but not a lot of Rivals guys have seen him in action. I have scouted this kid for about three years. There's no question he's an LSU recruit as the video probably shows you. He's a kid that will represent any college very well. Shanon is currently 6-foot-1, 220 pounds now. He added a lot more strength, and he's also an early enrollee. Pretty smart, sharp kid.

Moving onto QB DeAndre Johnson, who is now at East Miss CC. I recently talked with his father and currently DeAndre has thrown for over 2,000 yards, and 37 TD's. He was also named the JUCO player of the year on offense. He's very special and much like Shanon I've known Johnson and his family since he was probably in the eight grade.

Everyone knows about his situation that happened and it was very out of character for this kid. I don't vouch for a lot of kids because I'm not going to put my reputation out there unless I know for sure. However, for this kid I would vouch for him. Before that one incident he has never been in trouble. In fact, at First Coast high school in Jacksonville where he played this kid was the one that kept everyone together and off the streets doing dumb things.

Now for those that might not remember he was at FSU that spring and IMO he was the best quarterback on the roster and that was even with Deondre Francois. This is strictly my opinion but if he didn't get into trouble I'm under the belief he likely would have won the QB battle over Francois. In high school he threw for over 10,000 yards and broke Tim Tebows touchdown record, which was over 100 touchdowns for his career I believe.

DeAndre is a pass first quarterback, but is elusive, quick in running when the play breaks down. What makes this kid so special as a quarterback is his ability to process information on check downs, reading coverages, and how quickly he can do it. He's also aggressive in how he attacks teams down the field. He's a video gym rat when it comes to studying teams weaknesses and probably spends around 8 hours alone studying film even on the JUCO level.

Lastly, I haven't heard a lot about interest yet with DeAndre. But I'm sure that's now starting to pick up since the season is over and this is when JUCO's usually get colleges to start pushing. I did talk with his Father recently as I mentioned and he said they haven't heard from LSU yet. However, several big name programs have been sending a lot of mail.

My expectation is LSU and other schools will start to push this week and next. I will also add that from people close to Johnson that LSU is the one place DeAndre talks about the most for whatever reason. It is my belief that if LSU offers that's where he goes. If I get anymore on schools showing heavy interest I'll pass it along guys.

Have a great day.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News