ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Report from, "The Opening"

TigerfaninMinnesota

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Oct 24, 2001
Santa Barbara, CA, via Portland, Seattle, St Paul
So I was out at The Opening this past week and thought I'd drop by with a few notes.

Austin Deculus: Big solid kid, moved really well and did well in the 1 on 1’s, as well as anybody I saw. Doesn’t seem fat, just solid. Met his parents and they are very nice, father is from Louisiana. They said he may take visits, but it’s only because they (parents) want to see beautiful campuses and other cities, he’s all LSU.

Saahdiq Charles: Had trouble in the 1 on 1’s at first, I think the speed and power ate him up a bit, but he bounced back. He’s just raw, but has all the physical tools. Had the 3rd best SPARQ rating amongst offensive linemen. Was hanging around with Austin all week.

Myles Brennan: Can make all the throws, big arm, but struggled with the speed of the game the first few days. He did great in warm-ups and practice, but when it was game time he took a bit long on his reads and made some late decisions that got him in trouble. He played much better the last day and was much quicker in his progressions. He’s very thin, and with some added muscle, his arm will get even better.

Cam Akers: Looked great in drills, quick, quick feet, very solidly built. Didn’t see much in the games, but RB’s don’t really get the opportunity to display their skill set. Was on the same team as Najee Harris and I think it works in our favor. I think he saw how good Harris was and won’t go to the same school.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire: Man, he has some quick ass feet and change of direction. He looked incredible in the drills and then when they matched up in 1 on 1’s against LB’s he destroyed a few that I saw. He’s way better than a 3 star, he’s very, very good.

Najee Harris: I know, not LSU, but he’s gonna be a beast. He has legs like tree trunks, and has sick moves. Need someone to steal him away from Bama

Jhamon Ausbon: I think he was one of the top performing WR’s the entire week. He’s very smooth in his route running, kind of effortless. He just kind of glides and you don’t think he’s doing much, but he gets open. He also has very good hands; I didn’t see any dropped balls.

D.D. Bowie: I know, not LSU, but funny story. Met his mom and sister (I think). They were telling me he committed to BAMA on the spot when he got his offer, but later got to know Saban and couldn’t stand him. He’s not solid to Ole Miss, very worried about all the crap coming out of Oxford. His parents said all the parents are, so I think this will help with Akers. Also, this was Bowie’s first big, long trip away from home; his momma said he called crying the first 2 nights. Big strong, tough football players, but still young kids that miss home.

Tyler Shelvin: Huge, huge man, weighed in at 369, he’s gotta lose about 30. Amazingly enough, he still moves very, very well with all that weight. He was able to bull rush, or use a spin move to eat up OL in the drills. When he gets down a bit in weight, he’ll be unstoppable.

Marvin Wilson: Very, very similar to Shelvin, just a bit quicker, and a bit stronger. Great hands, when he gets a hold of you he’s able to move you in one direction and slide by in the other. Both Shelvin and Wilson hung out a lot that I saw.

Dylan Moses: He’s a real physical specimen. He didn’t show up in the 7 on 7, but it’s hard for LB’s to show up there. He moves very well, very good lateral movement as well as great instincts. He did very well in the 1 on 1’s, and seemed to do the best against Najee and Edwards, who seemed to eat up a lot of people. I was sad to see him see me in my LSU hat and not say something. Everybody who was an LSU recruit or was considering them threw out an, “L” or “Geaux Tigers”, Moses did not. Last time that happened it was Landon Collins when he was at the opening.

Vandarious Cowen: Bama guy, but noticed that he was probably the biggest dick on the field. Got in shoving matches, took cheap shots, just an A-hole. I don’t think he made any friends out there.

Patrick Surtain II: He’s a stud, covered like a glove and I hope we are in his top 5 for 2018

Grant Delpit: Long and lanky, he’s listed at 6-3.5 and he’s all of that. Kind of reminded me of a young Sean Taylor. He moves very well and seemed to have pretty good hands in the drills I watched. When he fills out, he’ll be a great coverage safety with good size.

Todd Harris Jr.: Didn’t see much of him, but met his mother and sister. They are huge LSU fans, as is the entire family with several members LSU alumni. They said he knows where he is going, but he won’t tell them. They all want him at LSU

Well that’s about it, it wasn’t the greatest week, a bit rainy, but I’m sure they enjoyed the cool temps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News