ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC Some interesting quotes re: Senate Judicial Confirmation hearings

LSUwiggz

Taking the slings and arrows since 2001...
May 29, 2001
Baton Rouge, LA
A lot is being made of the Republican Congress's decision to wait until after the next President is elected to have confirmation hearings. I thought it might be topical to remind people of these quotes by the very same people whom claim to be upset by this 'abuse of power'...

“There are some who believe that the President, having won the election, should have complete authority to appoint his nominee…that once you get beyond intellect and personal character, there should be no further question as to whether the judge should be confirmed. I disagree with this view.”

- Senator Obama, during the confirmation hearings for Judge Alito, after voting to filibuster Alito's nomination.

"The duties of the United States Senate are set forth in the Constitution of the United States. Nowhere in that document does it say the Senate has a duty to give presidential nominees a vote. It says appointments shall be made with the advice and consent of the Senate. That's very different than saying every nominee receives a vote."

- Democratic minority leader Harry Reid, arguing against the Senate considering any of President Bush's Judicial nominees.

Of course, this harkens back to any number of politically convenient flip-flops on that the Dems tend to engage in, relying on a cooperative media to keep the memories of American voters short. Anybody remember this gem from then-Senator Barack Obama?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the US Government cannot pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that 'the buck stops here'. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better."

At the time those words were spoken, I honestly could not have agreed more... but guess what? Since uttering those words and becoming President, Barack Obama has not only pushed to raise our debt limit repeatedly but will have increased the federal debt from $10.6 trillion when he took office to just under $20 trillion by the time his presidency ends. As a result of the policies enacted during the past seven years or so, over the next ten years, annual net interest payments on our debt is slated to rise from $220 billion currently to $755 billion.

Consider this: in 2011, we were paying China right at $75 million a day, every single day, in interest alone. And our debt then wasn't near what it is now, and won't be a fraction of what it soon will be. No amount of taxation would ever be able to cover our ever-increasing debt combined with our ever-increasing spending... I'm not entirely certain it will collapse the system in my lifetime, but I genuinely fear for future generations. Getting more and more people dependent on a government that will be less and less able to provide for them will inevitably lead to crisis far worse than what we saw during the Carter years, regardless of who is President at the time it happens.

Anyway, just wanted to throw those quotes out there as the 'obstructionist Republican congress' rhetoric heats up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News