ADVERTISEMENT

The Undeniable Trend

Panthera Tiger

Honorable Mention All-America
Dec 10, 2002
2011: 8-0. The Tigers beat Georgia for the SEC Championship and were No. 1 when they lost to Alabama 21-0 in the BCS Championship game. Things in Baton Rouge have not been as the same since.

2012: 6-2. Lost at Florida 14-6 and to No. 1 Alabama 21-17 in Baton Rouge. Alabama went on to win the BCS national championship.

2013: 5-3. Lost at Georgia 44-41, lost at Ole Miss 27-24, lost at No. 1 Alabama 38-17. LSU was the only SEC team that season to beat Auburn, the eventual conference champion, 35-21. Auburn went on to play in the BCS title game against Florida State.

2014: 4-4. Lost to Mississippi State (24-19) at home; lost at Auburn 41-7; lost to No. 4 Alabama 2013 at home 20-13 in overtime; lost to Arkansas 17-0. Needed a win at Texas A&M (23-17) to avoid closing out the season with four straight losses. Finished tied for fourth in the SEC West.

That, my friends, is a truly undeniable trend. And so the question before us today is whether or not LSU and head coach Les Miles have the wherewithal to reverse that trend in a year where the SEC West is more balanced than I’ve ever seen it.

LSU is what I call my “All Airport Team.” There is not a more impressive team in college football when you see them in the airport or getting off the bus. They have great players everywhere.

At least everywhere but quarterback.

Here is the issue.

Since Les Miles became head coach in 2005 LSU has recruited 13 quarterbacks who all looked good on paper. They were highly-ranked by people who make a living highly ranking players. As Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson so famously says “They all come highly recommended.”

Reactions: ntttatw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News