ADVERTISEMENT

The "Wonder" of Death Valley

44rebel

1st Team All-America
Feb 5, 2003
As a young child in the nineteen sixties, I was trembling, literally, as I ran to keep up with my father, as we made our way in the crowd. My mother's red cape was blowing in the wind through the darkness, a horrible October darkness, a darkness that was lit up by an eerie light coming from the top of a gothic like structure (Think of the movie Gladiator when they entered Rome and saw the exterior of the Coliseum). In my terror, I was lost! No more beacon of a red cape! Eventually, a giant, a giant of purple and gold swept me up! He found a ticket in my pocket. He put me on his shoulders. The purple and gold giant delivered me to my parents inside the stadium, but, the image that stands out most in my eight year old mind, was entering through the porthole from the darkness into the light, and seeing the most beautiful sight I have ever beheld! WONDER! Absolute WONDER! Wonder in the eyes of a child! Hate LSU, absolutely not! Fear LSU, absolutely not! Only an older Ole MIss fan can "love" this place like that! I think sometimes that even LSU fans can't love it as much as I do! The Wonder of this Amazing Valley! I like Les Miles, but he's got it wrong! He can't possibly know what that place means to us! I don't think LSU people really know what that place means to us! BUT, it is not a place of fear and terror. It is a place of light and wonder, where the magic seems to work both ways! The dream continues and lives! In the greatest valley on earth! The "Wonder" of Death Valley! Lord willing, I will experience it again!

Thanks! It was a great experience again! As always, the good folks from LSU never disappoint!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT