ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Those QB scrimmage numbers...

LSUwiggz

Taking the slings and arrows since 2001...
May 29, 2001
Baton Rouge, LA
I don't know how many people caught the Cam interview on the radio - I just got it on podcast and managed to find some of the transcripts. I know there was some 'concern' over the high yards per completion stat and thought this might be illuminating:

"I was in here early this morning and talking to Blaine Gautier, our offensive intern. Most people around here know him from Lutcher and UL-Lafayette. He’s a great quarterback. One thing he and I were talking about, and I had him chart, was all the times we threw checkdowns in this scrimmage. Checkdowns meaning our third progression, the underneath throw. We have a three-vert concept, and Chark comes underneath on a shallow and we hit him about three yards from the line of scrimmage and he runs for 60. We go back on a seven-step drop and run our 78-combination, and we are trying to throw the ball over their head and they take it away, so we dump the ball to Leonard Fournette two yards downfield and he runs for 30. We hit Derrius Guice on a screen that was thrown four yards behind the line of scrimmage, and he goes for 50. We throw Derrius a screen that is five yards behind the line of scrimmage and he goes for 30. Stats can be interpreted different ways. But the plus for us is that it comes back to decision making. We have talked about this for a couple years. We have to continue to grow as decision makers at the quarterback position, and that showed up Saturday. It’s been a good two-plus years before we’ve had a scrimmage like that with the QB’s … We got completions and now we are getting yards after the catch. You look at the stats, and half the incompletions were throwaways, which is another thing you wouldn’t notice. It’s another good decision for the quarterback. Our defense did a good job of getting some pressure on us, we escaped and got out of the pocket and nothing was there, we threw the ball away a half-dozen times. To answer the question specifically, it’s good decision making. When our quarterbacks are making good decisions, we are going to be tough to beat."

Tough not to be encouraged by that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News