ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC Ways to improve the transfer portal

Once and Future King

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Nov 10, 2019
I was thinking about ways to improve the CFB transfer portal - anyone who thinks that its perfect the way it is has clearly lost their minds.

What do you guys think about creating a window for it? Creating a time period when a player can officially enter the portal in a way that doesn't wreck havoc on entire programs, doesn't interrupt seasons and doesn't encourage impulsive or emotional decisions made in the moment. We have to remember how immature many of these kids are, and everything from homesickness to getting their feelings hurt over getting yelled at in practice can have them looking to run when they ought to stay. Despite the much-publicized outliers, the vast majority of kids who transfer rarely improve their situation or benefit from the change. I have spoken to more former college players than I can count and nearly every one of them have told me that at some point in their careers - usually during their freshmen or sophomore year - they absolutely would have quit or transferred if they could have, and looking back, they are incredibly glad that they couldn't, because it would have been the worst thing for them. Every one of them points to their sticking through adversity (or perceived adversity) as being a fundamental moment in their growth as a person and as a player.

So what about February 3rd thru September 1st? February 3rd is the day after signing day - that's the point when players will actually know what the incoming class looks like and can make educated decisions about how the roster will affect them rather than kneejerk reactions over who might be joining the team. It's also removed from the bowl games and the prior season as a whole, giving players a reasonable amount of time to gain distance from whatever events might have inspired them to make an emotional decision in the moment. It is also at this point that the vast majority of coaching changes have taken place, giving kids not just the chance to see where coaches are going but also a chance to meet the new coaches coming in. September 1st is more or less the first day of classes for the vast majority of schools and a couple of days before Fall practice begins for them as well. Spring practice would have gone a long way towards ordering the current roster and which players will be reporting with the incoming freshman class will be well-established. Once Fall practice begins, it can only hurt the team for coaches to spend their time training, scheming and coaching up kids who have the potential to bail the minute they don't like something they hear.

People complain about scholarships being something that can be renewed annually, but at least they can't be taken away mid-season because a kid copped an attitude at practice or dropped a couple of passes during a game. It would be good to have the transfer portal be an option for the kids that doesn't hamstring the teams they leave behind and for it to be available at a time when a rational, well-informed decision can be made. I think creating this seven month window would go a long way towards addressing the free for all we're seeing right now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News