ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING What will LSU 2020 Football Recruiting Class makeup possibly look like, who are among top prospects?

Charles Foster Malloy

1st Team All-America
Nov 2, 2016
What will the LSU 2020 Football Recruiting Class makeup possibly look like, who are among top prospects ?

Anybody have a clue ?

How many signees at each position group, and on offense and defense ?

I've been playing with numbers, only preliminarily, and am not very sure on numbers at many positions. However, I think its clear that some major compromises will have to be made in order to meet expected needs at various positions.

Without a thorough analysis of the expected returning roster needed to tweek this listing better, here's my initial best guess:

Offense:

QB: (2) - 2 already committed

RB: (1-2) - there are several great targets

WR: (3-5) - many many great targets, but 3 seems more likely than 5, due to overall numbers crunches.

TE (0-1) could take none & more WRs, but 1 is likely, & there are at least 2 good prospects currently.

OT: (3-4) This is a major need, a possible future hole in the roster, 4 would be great, but number crunches may hold it to 3.

OG: (1-2) LSU roster at OG looks solid, but need 2 to maintain, however, numbers may only allow 1, especially if 3 to 4 OTs are signed.

Probable total on offense: 12

Probable total on Defense: 13

DDL (DT+SDE): (4-5) - could use 5+ but number crunches to remain at or under the 25 cap likely means 4, unless fewer are taken at DB and LB.

LB: (3-5) probably don't take fewer than 3, but there are 3 really good OLB prospects in-state LA in 2020 plus there is a huge need for at least 1 elite ILB (like Dean in 2019, who LSU missed on) and 1 elite Buck LB/WDE edge rusher of the Chaisson ilk. May end up compromising here in order to add some ATHs or to take more DDL or DBs. 2 of the 3 top LA in-state OLBs are of the smaller size presently (at or around 200 lbs) so they look like large SAFs, like Marcus Brooks in 2019, thus they could end up slotted at Hybrids NickelBackers or SAFs as well or instead, and draw from those numbers.

DB: (4-5) there's a lot of top talent interested in DBU this year, so, much like at WR, you hate to miss on an opportunity to hoard top talent, but the overall cap limits may put pressure on the class to limit the number of DBs, especially if 1 or more ATHs are signed to play either WR or DB.

ATHs: (0-2) looking at the skill position ATHs only; those that can play LB/mid-sized offensive ATHs and those that play along the lines on both sides of the LOS are slotted on one side or the other, not here (for example, CamRon Jackson I personally put/slot at OT rather than DDL or here at ATH, but he's really an ATH.)

What are y'alls ideas or observations on the numbers and who fills the spots ?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News