ADVERTISEMENT

WISCONSIN coach Gary Andersen Interviewed

Tigris Panthera

2nd Team All-America
Sep 6, 2010
Badgers football: SEC heavyweights want no part of Camp Randall Stadium

[/URL]

2014-07-30T05:50:00Z Badgers football: SEC heavyweights want no part of Camp Randall StadiumANDY BAGGOT abaggot@madison.com, 608-252-6175 madison.com

4 hours ago ? By Andy Baggot | Wisconsin State Journal

[/URL]

LSU coach Les Miles will lead the Tigers against UW in two neutral-site games, the first Aug. 30 in Houston and the second in 2016 at Lambeau Field.

Enlarge Photo[/URL]

Andy Baggot

Andy Baggot has been on the Wisconsin State Journal sports staff since 1978, when he was thrilled to be hired to take prep scores over the telephone. Now a columnist and the beat writer for the UW men's hockey team, Baggot also covers the UW athletic department. A Tomah High School graduate, he's been fortunate enough to attend two Olympics, three Rose Bowls, one Super Bowl and four NCAA championship games.

CHICAGO ? The upcoming season opener for the University of Wisconsin football team will have a high degree of difficulty, but Barry Alvarez wanted it higher.

The UW athletic director said he sought to have a genuine home-and-home non-conference series with LSU for 2014 and 2016.

"They weren't interested," he said.

What was the rationale?

"They wouldn't tell you why," Alvarez said. "They just weren't interested."

So instead of playing LSU, the national champion in 2003 and 2007, at renowned Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, the Badgers will face the Southeastern Conference powerhouse at NRG Stadium in Houston on Aug. 30.

And instead of the Tigers coming to Camp Randall Stadium to open the 2016 season on Sept. 3, the clubs will mix it up at Lambeau Field in Green Bay.

UW football coach Gary Andersen lauded Alvarez for trying to get the series on both campuses.

"Coach Alvarez did a great job of starting the whole conversation to getting this game and, as it went forward, it was very obvious that if we were going to play these games, they were going to get played on a neutral field," Andersen said.

"But you would love to play it in Camp Randall. Going down to Death Valley would be a great experience, a very difficult place to play."

Wedged between those outings with LSU is another season-opening neutral-site game with another member of SEC royalty. UW has signed up to play Alabama at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on Sept. 5, 2015.

Alvarez said Alabama, the national champion in 2009, 2011 and 2012, had no interest in a home-and-home series that involved Madison and Tuscaloosa.

"I'd love to do it," he said. "I've approached a lot of those (SEC) schools. I have one that we're talking to for a home-and-home, but we're just in the infant stages of it."

No, it's not that one.

"It's not Arkansas," Alvarez said of the program that now employs former Badgers coach Bret Bielema, "so I'll save some people some running around and speculating."

Alvarez and Andersen said they'd like to have a big-time intersectional game on the Badgers' schedule every season. That's a departure from

recent chamois-soft slates, a process driven by the new College Football Playoff and its strength-of-schedule component.

"You're starting to see games ? good intersectional games ? pop up because people know that strength of schedule is going to factor in," said Alvarez, who is on the 13-member CFP selection committee that will choose the four semifinalists.

Alvarez said UW, which has won three of the past four Big Ten Conference titles, is looking down the road at a variety of scheduling wrinkles.

The Big Ten currently plays an eight-game schedule and will go to nine in 2016. Andersen said recently a 10-game Big Ten slate is inevitable.

What about Alvarez?

"Ooh, that would be tough, but I'd love to play 10 games," he said.

The challenge, Alvarez said, would be lining up two non-conference home games every season, especially now that Football Championship Subdivision schools are off-limits by Big Ten decree.

Copyright 2014 madison.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://social.newsinc.com/media/json/69017/24973063/singleVideoOG.html?videoId=24973063&type=VideoPlayer%2F16x9#.U9kPELjEliU.facebook

UW football coach Gary Andersen

There are some really stupid people in this world..and the writer of this article is obviously one of them (along with Tiger100)!!

We play every other year in some of the toughest places in the country: The Swamp, Jordan Hare, Bryant Denny, and now Kyle Field. We play games every few years in Sanford Stadium and Neyland Stadium. LSU went to Husky Stadium (UW), Milan Puskar Stadium (WVU), and Lane Stadium (VTech). LSU has played in much tougher venues than Camp Randall against far better programs.

Sorry to pop that guys bubble, but while probably a nice place to watch a game, it is not a feared place to play football, except for lower tier Big 10 schools!

Originally posted by LSUTiger87:
There are some really stupid people in this world..and the writer of this article is obviously one of them (along with Tiger100)!!

We play every other year in some of the toughest places in the country: The Swamp, Jordan Hare, Bryant Denny, and now Kyle Field. We play games every few years in Sanford Stadium and Neyland Stadium. LSU went to Husky Stadium (UW), Milan Puskar Stadium (WVU), and Lane Stadium (VTech). LSU has played in much tougher venues than Camp Randall against far better programs.

Sorry to pop that guys bubble, but while probably a nice place to watch a game, it is not a feared place to play football, except for lower tier Big 10 schools!
I agree with what you're saying here but I'd like to also agree that the time has arrived to schedule the likes of Iowa, Penn St, Wisconsin, tOSU and Michigan State along with Southern Cal in one and ones.

Originally posted by Tigris Panthera:

I agree with what you're saying here but I'd like to also agree that the time has arrived to schedule the likes of Iowa, Penn St, Wisconsin, tOSU and Michigan State along with Southern Cal in one and ones.
We played Wisconsin home and away years ago and won both games. Never in all my years of traveling with the LSU team was I ever treated more shabbily than I was at Camp Randall. I realize that was then and now is now, but that kind of rudeness and hostility crossed the line. Being called racists despite having more black kids on our team than Wisconsin did not sit well with me. I was raised as a military brat and that crap didn't fly. I might also add we had a black LSU student body president at the time they became high and mighty.

I have followed Wisconsin for several years now because of a friend's son who played for the Badgers. (I will keep his name unknown). I have probably watched at least 18 games. The Badgers are a solid good team. They have some strengths we don't have and we have some they don't have. However, unless I am totally overwhelmed by fandom I just don't think Wisconsin can beat LSU unless our new QB play goes totally south. LSU is as big as Wisconsin, has more speed and better players in most positions save RB. Fournette is a load, but a true freshman. He is huge and has blistering speed. However, McGee will start imo and he is seriously fast and pretty solid at 5'9" 2017 so we can come at Wisconsin despite their incredible rb All-American who is NFL ready.

The difference will be team speed and the fact LSU is loaded on defense and offense with veteran players.

I see a 31-17 LSU win. LSU has proven versus Oregon, TCU, North Carolina and Washington over the last 4 years that we don't take early big games lightly. We are not doing it this time either

Originally posted by Friendly Foe:

We played Wisconsin home and away years ago and won both games. The difference will be team speed and the fact LSU is loaded on defense and offense with veteran players.

I see a 31-17 LSU win. LSU has proven versus Oregon, TCU, North Carolina and Washington over the last 4 years that we don't take early big games lightly. We are not doing it this time either
I remember the games versus Wisconsin and in both instances LSU was heavily favored and made it out alive narrowly.
This post was edited on 8/10 3:36 PM by Tigris Panthera

Re: Fan smack for fan smack, but,,,,

,,, all in preseason good fun...
3dgrin.r191677.gif

The HIGH and MIGHTY Big Ten/12/whtaever....

2013 tOSU schmuckeyes 31 - 24 Wussie bad-jeers

2013 tOSU schmuckeyes 35 - 40 Clemps-son - Orange Bowl

2013 Clemps-son 17 - 31 SCa/SEC

=================================

And then in the 2013 Cap-One Bowl:

SCa 34 - 24 Wussie bad-jeers

South Carolina beat you worse than the schmuckeyes
did.

But somehow they still want to try and talk chit

to 2x BCS-NC LSU. (now that's funny)
laugh.r191677.gif

Your has-been Big Whatever teams are a joke for most SEC
teams....

When you play 8 games vs SEC's (9 if SEC-C) you really don't
want

to be bothered with the has-beens.... When YOU need to build
up

your SoS, you need an SEC opponent, SEC teams however, don't

need another chump Big Whatever to build up theirs...

However, UF did agree to play the Cowboys Classic vs Mich in

PS

SEC vs Big Whatever Champs in BCS-NC games, SEC 2-0 Big-Tin

And when Big Whatever coaches want to move up, they generally
go

to an SEC school - Myles - Bielima
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Friendly Foe:

We played Wisconsin home and away years ago and won both games. The difference will be team speed and the fact LSU is loaded on defense and offense with veteran players.

I remember the games versus Wisconsin and in both instances LSU was heavily favored and made it out alive narrowly.
This post was edited on 8/10 3:36 PM by Tigris Panthera
We beat Wisconsin in both games
Game 1 @ Wisconsin : Wisconsin 28--LSU 38
Game 2 @ LSU: Wisconsin 7--LSU 27

Seriously, do you call that barely winning with wins by 10 points & by 20 points?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT