ADVERTISEMENT

SEC The Infamous Bridge Schedule

NolaTiger

Hall Of Fame
Nov 7, 2006
A sacred tenet of the Cajun Angle (formerly the Coonass Slant) as practiced and preached by as The Usual Suspects, or Conspiracy Theorists (Wiggzie Longfellow Wordsmith, Grand Dragon) is that LSU is "picked upon" and Bama is favored by the regulatory agencies to which both belong (the SEC and the NCAA). They go so far as to claim that such cheating even somehow includes the referees on the field during games, as directed by one or more of the "gang of six" Bama Grads in supposedly "buck stops here" positions in the SEC office in Birmingham which is the geographic center of SEC member schools at the time of its founding, and was approved by all of the founding members, including LSU.

The cardinal thought behind this whimpy tenet can only be their desire that in addition to our cupcakes that LSU play the weakest conference schedule and the competition - mainly the Gumps play the strongest, because that would supposedly result in more wins for the good guys. Now let anything supposedly get in the way of that desire and it stands as evidence in their view of cheating.

And so when the league expands and a bridge schedule is required, the hunt is on by the whimpy ones in the fan base to pick out examples of schedule changes that hurt us and help our major opponents. To be fair there is another group of fans who want us to come out of this process with what at the time appears to be a tougher schedule, and our major opponents - mainly Bama - a weaker one. A stronger strength of schedule with all of the benefits that brings, especially in figuring ratings at the end of the year.

This group is headed by none other than our Head Coach. You can argue a lot of pros and cons about Les Miles, but one thing he has been entirely consistent upon is his desire to put the Tigers on the big stage, the most exciting venues against other big name schools . He comes right out and says so, and his genuine excitement before a big game is transparent and inspiring. So the very things that the US/CT/Whimpy group complain about there is another group who feel just the opposite, including our coach.

But this is not about that group for they don't hurt anything. This is about the Whimpy group because it is that group that stands in the way of the truth. It is that group that would have you believe that when you go to an LSU game , especially against Bama that LSU is not playing on a level field. The gang of 6 and the all powerful REC and others, have rigged things up to favor Bama, including the game officials.

And the strongest "evidence" always given for "proof" of this "fact" is the now infamous Bridge Schedule, originated exclusively by that hated double-crossing bama grad Mark Womack, whose allegiance is to the school he graduated from - not the Association that now employs him.

Never mind that even if he was so stupid and shallow, it is literally impossible to know in advance how good a team is going to be, not only next year, but in the future. Who could have guessed that Mizzou would win the east its first two years in the conference, or that Miss. State and Ole Miss would have been the number one and two rated schools in the nation for part of the year???Yet Womack is accused of figuring this unknown in to the schedule he supposedly prepared to favor Bama.

And never ever mind the fact that coming up with a workable bridge schedule when all considerations by 14 members are taken into consideration (current schedules, teams wanting to keep their rivals and dates they play them, teams wanting to play on certain non-Saturday games and those who don't want them, home and away, new permanent teams, and in what years, and a whole host of other considerations are taken into account) is a daunting task indeed.

So in order to uphold the Whimpy tenent, the conspiracy theorists go to work and the first thing they find is that one of the gang of six is Mark Womack, one of those cheating Bama grads whose title is: Asst. Commissioner - Scheduling, and who was approved by all member schools, and who supposedly still holds the fact that he happened to graduate from Bama as his guiding principle rather than putting the association first in all he does as required by his employment contract. In fact all of the Bama grads supposedly hold to this grammar school play ground way of looking at things and will cheat in a heartbeat to favor Bama rather than look out for the welfare of the Association.

Yep we have all seen it in black and white right here on this board a number of times: "Mark Womack, a Bama grad IN CHARGE of Scheduling made out the bridge schedule. and this supposed fact, more than any other, is used as solid evidence that everything is slanted in favor of Bama and against us.

Now Wiggzie has pointed out that the "executive assistants" listed on the partial list of employes at the SEC office who didn't go to Bama, are nothing but "secretaries." So it is just as fair to point out that the Asst. Commissioners also therein listed are nothing more than Assts. TO the commissioner, in all of the various fields of his responsibility. Foot soldiers - nothing more - no executive authority whatsoever to make independent final and binding policy on behalf of the Association. The Commissioner and the Commissioner alone signs off on anything as important as a Bridge Schedule. And then, as with any association it is sent around to the various members to sign off on and approve before put into force. Any questions and or disagreements are worked out and approved before it becomes policy.

So okay is all of this just my opinion based mostly on my own participation in an association in my working days? Where is the undisputed evidence that we demand from the other side. I wouldn't have done all of this typing if I couldn't provide that. I'm going to paraphrase and you can look it up for yourself.

I simply went to GOOGLE and typed in "Southeast Conference Bridge Schedule (for various years). I had to click under this general topic a few times and finally came upon two different stories whereby the Commissioner specifically addressed the Bridge Schedule preparation. He stated that he had asked the presidents of the various schools (as assisted by the various sports authorities, AD's coaches, etc, at their schools to come up with a Bridge Schedule that all could and did eventually approve.

Did Mark Womack have a roll in all of this. Of course he did, that is in his job description "to assist and help facilitate the schools executives with scheduling problems and questions. I'd bet he was pulling his hair out by the roots by the time that the Bridge Schedule was prepared and approved by the Commissioner and al member institutions.

Now if it helps you to continue to believe all of the various conspiracy theories, be my guest. But I believe that it is still possible to go to an SEC game with the expectation that the best prepared and coached team, perhaps with a little luck, will be the winner, based upon team performance on the field. I sincerely hope that most of you folks can go with that assurance too.

Reactions: jts1255
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News