ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Drop your prediction

Jimmy Detail

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2018
This will be a decent game, but I do not see Georgia being able to mount enough offense to keep make this a game late in the fourth quarter. They have been challenged to do so all year and it feels like LSU's defense may be starting to find its stride.

Keys to a LSU victory:

The passing windows may be a bit tighter this week than in many of LSU's contest this year. The Bulldogs play disciplined football with enough athletes on all levels to challenge its opponent. LSU will need to be really efficient in the short to intermediate passing game on Saturday. Georgia does a decent job disguising its coverages and there is enough tape out there for a strong defensive staff to come up with new wrinkles to slow down a passing attack.

LSU has been really good at running the ball of late and that will need to continue this afternoon. LSU has been really strong on third down and a major reason why is that they are exceptionally good on 1st and second down.

Defensively, the Tigers need to be really sound in maintaining gap control and wrapping up. Georgia's offensive line is the best in the country and they can move the pile in the running game. The edge defenders need to set the edge and keep Georgia from outflanking the defensive flow to the ball. Patrick Queen and Jacob Phillips need to have monster games if LSU wants to slow down the dominant Georgia rushing attack.

I expect them to spy Fromm at times. LSU's front seven continues to struggle with misdirection and RPO action, with the edge defenders often giving up the edge and the linebackers getting out of position as they get caught up in the backfield action. Staying honest on Fromm in the runnin game will be important in this contest.

Plays out like...

I think LSU will get out to a quick start offensively, but fully expect the Georgia defense to tighten through the middle stages of the game. There will be quite the chess match going on between LSU's offensive staff and the Bulldogs offensive staff. The LSU defense will be strong in run support early on, but they have shown a habit at becoming undisciplined in maintaining gap integrity, especially in the second and third quarters, which is likely to show up at times in this contest.

I look for LSU to take a modest lead into halftime (21-13), with some back and forth action into the third quarter, before LSU's defense makes some key adjustments and stalls the Georgia offense, while Coach Brensminger dials up some crucial plays to give LSU a cushion down the stretch.

Offensive Player of the game: Joe Burrow

Defensive player of the game: Jacoby Stevens

LSU total yards: 476

Georgia total yards: 338

Score: LSU 37, Georgia 23

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News