ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL ... "empty stands".

TDLSU

1st Team All-America
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
Hammond, Louisiana
I know traffic is a nightmare,.. but, would love to see the Tiger Stadium I remember, back in the sixties.

Most fans stayed the entire game. The fans did not wait to see it on the field. Fans could turn the momentum of a game, that has become rarer and rarer in the second half now.

There is a huge difference, in the "Fan experience" even in the seventies.

In the sixties, the only "boos" I recall, were aimed at the refs, or the opposing team! There was a hint of change early seventies. Booing the refs and the coaches got vocal. The NFL Franchise down the road, started to change the crowd. Booing became almost fashionable. Lord help some poor QB.

Mid seventies, the "Help Mac Pack" crew, along with, a:confused:"more sophisticated":confused: group, of growing numbers, in the crowd. Some Saints fans, took their nfl game day experience to the college scene. A lot of fans started to let boos rain down, in a wad of panties. Lord help some poor QBs and Coach Mac!

The seventies ended with, perhaps, Mac's most exciting game! But the fans were in the stands to see every second of the USC game! During those decades, the fans were in the stands to see last second touchdowns, that drove the crowd into a frenzy!

The nineties, let's ignore the nineties.

The Saban years, "Death Valley" regained respect! ... glorious times!

Coach Miles had the greatest single season,.. Tiger Stadium ruled!

The past few years, after Katrina, traffic became a major issue.

More and more the crowd vanishes, in the second half. Would love to see the stadium packed, for every game. Not just when we play top tier SEC teams. Would love to see a frenzied crowd in the fourth quarter, every home game! I am among those who never leave a game, 'til it is over. Sat through a few downpours, that soaked my shorts!

I know there are many reasons for the mass exodus,.. it is discouraging to know how intense the entire games used to be. It must be a letdown for the players too, playing to empty stands.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News