ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL HC huge Buzz is Jimbo

I'm sorry I was being nice. It was not a spin, it's flat out stupid. Sorry for not using stronger words. I said long time ago I would not lose any sleep if O got the job, but you guys are showing just how the good ole boy network truely works in this state and why we lag behind so much. It is the dumbest thing I've ever seen and just estatic that fans have nothing to do with any of the process.

I'm not part of a "Good Ole Boy" anything BigC. I'm just posting how I personally see it and believe in Coach Orgeron AND surprisingly...Coach Ensminger!:eek:;)
S.C.

I'm not part of a "Good Ole Boy" anything BigC. I'm just posting how I personally see it and believe in Coach Orgeron AND surprisingly...Coach Ensminger!:eek:;)
S.C.
I hope that good old boy doesn't insinuate anything nefarious. I think I'm good and I'm definitely old, so I guess I belong to the good old boy network. Only problem is, I don't know where they meet or even what they talk about. I do know that I agree with your evaluation of Coach O and Coach Ensminger.

Reactions: southern comfort
I hope that good old boy doesn't insinuate anything nefarious. I think I'm good and I'm definitely old, so I guess I belong to the good old boy network. Only problem is, I don't know where they meet or even what they talk about. I do know that I agree with your evaluation of Coach O and Coach Ensminger.

Nah last I heard being good and old is not a prerequisite to being in the good ole boy network lol

Reactions: twill28
I'm not going to argue with you any further. You have your opinion and I have mine. On the basis we are both tiger fans maybe we can just agree to disagree. I don't think anything substantive hasn't already been discussed.
The only thing I would add is there is no scientific argument to make as to who the best coach would be. Only opinions.
3 things: Timing, fit , luck.

I would say :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

This post is for BigC: I would still say that Jimbos salary and Jimbo is money spent on someone NOT NEEDED! What has Coach O done that you guys don't think is good enough? I'll go one more... What has Coach Ensminger done that you want or need someone that you guys THINK could do a better job? I look at what Coach E has done and I think what he could do IF given time to implement some of HIS ideas. Hell... He's proven he can help implement a good game plan and then call it on game day! You ever heard the old saying "If it ain't broke... Don't mess with it" or "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." or "The grass is not always greener... Well you can see where I'm going with this... But it all means naught IF he doesn't win out does it?;)
S.C.

This post is for BigC: I would still say that Jimbos salary and Jimbo is money spent on someone NOT NEEDED! What has Coach O done that you guys don't think is good enough? I'll go one more... What has Coach Ensminger done that you want or need someone that you guys THINK could do a better job? I look at what Coach E has done and I think what he could do IF given time to implement some of HIS ideas. Hell... He's proven he can help implement a good game plan and then call it on game day! You ever heard the old saying "If it ain't broke... Don't mess with it" or "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." or "The grass is not always greener... Well you can see where I'm going with this... But it all means naught IF he doesn't win out does it?;)
S.C.

For one thing,O's never effectively run a program year to year, anywhere.

The sugar is a SEC/ big12 tie in.

Yes it is, at least for '16 and '17. and the 3 conference leaders all still have to play each other, the Big 12 is going to the wire, possibly when OU goes to Morgantown on 11/19 or OSU 2 weeks later.

Moms side is from Michigan, I've waited my whole life to see them play LSU. pardon me If I always try to put Michigan in the dome against LSU, a game i'd crawl naked across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway to see.

Reactions: FriscoBadgerLSU
S.C.

His ideas got him fired several times. I'll say this. We looked good at times with an energency OC in 2011. It was decided, hey we should keep this going. And 2012 happened. So yeah, we can repeat history if you want. That guy was an OC turned position coach too come to think about it. As for Coach O, I've stated waaay too many times my feelings on that. If you're worried about money all of the sudden then I would watch SEC football if I were you.

His ideas got him fired several times. I'll say this. We looked good at times with an energency OC in 2011. It was decided, hey we should keep this going. And 2012 happened. So yeah, we can repeat history if you want. That guy was an OC turned position coach too come to think about it. As for Coach O, I've stated waaay too many times my feelings on that. If you're worried about money all of the sudden then I would watch SEC football if I were you.

He got fired at Ole Miss. He didn't want to stay at USC after they hired a SURE THING over him!:)
S.C.

He got fired at Ole Miss. He didn't want to stay at USC after they hired a SURE THING over him!:)
S.C.

I was talking about Ensminger for OC. Comparing him to Studrawa. As for Sarkesian over O, we will never know. He wasn't fired due to performance remember. USC for as big of a job that is should have never hired a coach that never won more than seven games in any season.

S.C.
First, you would have to ask CEO if he plans on retaining SE as the OC? If the answer is yes then you would have hoped that CEO made this decision after much discussion with SE.
SC, remember, that it is an impossibility to install a brand new offense 4 games into the season.
Therefore, Ensminger is effectively calling plays out of Cam's playbook. So the questions CEO would have to ask is if he is retained as the OC, will he continue to use Cam's offense? If the answer is no; CEO will have had to get a good idea of what an Ensminger offense would look like and whether it is what he envisions for the Tiger offense going forward.
Personally, I have liked what I have seen offensively since SE took over as OC. A little more tweaking, possibly but I would like to see the power run game retained as a big part of the offense but with more balance, of course.

I was talking about Ensminger for OC. Comparing him to Studrawa. As for Sarkesian over O, we will never know. He wasn't fired due to performance remember. USC for as big of a job that is should have never hired a coach that never won more than seven games in any season.

Yep... Ensminger is someone I personally was kicking around as so far, I have enjoyed what he's accomplished and seen little not to like. IF Coach O was to get the job...I have ZERO doubt that he would and COULD get the best OC available.:)
S.C.

First, you would have to ask CEO if he plans on retaining SE as the OC? If the answer is yes then you would have hoped that CEO made this decision after much discussion with SE.
SC, remember, that it is an impossibility to install a brand new offense 4 games into the season.
Therefore, Ensminger is effectively calling plays out of Cam's playbook. So the questions CEO would have to ask is if he is retained as the OC, will he continue to use Cam's offense? If the answer is no; CEO will have had to get a good idea of what an Ensminger offense would look like and whether it is what he envisions for the Tiger offense going forward.
Personally, I have liked what I have seen offensively since SE took over as OC. A little more tweaking, possibly but I would like to see the power run game retained as a big part of the offense but with more balance, of course.

Absolutely agree with everything you posted bogey...AS USUAL! Keeping Ensminger is something that I personally put out there being the "Devils Advocate" if you will. Like you I have seen little not to like and have witnessed a willingness on his part to multi faceted with the Offense.:)
S.C.

Reactions: Dabogeyman
He ran one while at Ole Miss. AND LEARNED from his mistakes. I think that helped him become what WE are witnessing now! HOW many of us learn from our mistakes to go on and become successful at what we do?:)
S.C.

We have very little info on how he'd run the program right now. We know he's a good game day coach who allows his coordinators to do their jobs, we know he's a great recruiter, we know he gives a good interview, but as far as the the rest of it goes, we know nada.

Not really true 5656. Form 2002-2005, FSU's classes were ranked 4, 21, 3, 2. From 2006-2009 they ranked 3, 21,9, 7. Looks like Bowden had 2 down years (2003, 2006) but actually did better before the slide.
The point was that the cupboard was not bear. Having 3 of 4 top 10 classes is far from being in bad shape. People act like Fla St had middle of the pack talent and Jimbo coached them up to win a NC. That was not the case. That is all I meant.

Reactions: 03_TIGERS_07
S.C.

Why the rant? For me
Option 1 Saban
Option 2 jimbo with aranda and O
Option 3 O with aranda and dynamic off coor.

I am not against O getting the job.

So you assume that Aranda is here forever even though he is an extremely hot name? If we are going hypothetical then we have to account for the fact Aranda may very well be here only one or two more years tops. Then what? If that's all we're hanging our hats on with O then we are in trouble in two years.

As for the recruiting of Louisiana well of course he is doing better than Jimbo, better be since he is right in Louisiana. Jimbo is recruiting in Florida, Alabama, and Georgia right now, but I bet he wouldn't forget how to recruit Louisiana as he's done it with great success before. That's why I have him over Herman in fact. Now what would you say with Fisher managing to keep Aranda AND O.
See what happened at Wisconsin when Aranda left? The next DC learn a ton from Aranda and they picked up right where he left off. As for having Jimbo, O and Aranda that is awesome but I am not sure that is possible given O will be very upset and feel rejected. I am also not sold on Jimbo being a great Offensive mind. He looks better with a great QB and more average without one.....sound familiar? He is like Sumlin with and without a hot shot QB to run the spread. Now he seems to get the most out of his QB's and that is obviously a benefit.

Reactions: jwp475
We have very little info on how he'd run the program right now. We know he's a good game day coach who allows his coordinators to do their jobs, we know he's a great recruiter, we know he gives a good interview, but as far as the the rest of it goes, we know nada.

Same can be said for EVERY ONE on the list TS.:)
S.C.

And I believe given the chance, (IF HE WINS OUT) CEO would also, And be very successful at it.;) S.C.

I believe your original question was: "What has Coach O done that you guys don't think is good enough?" I replied, "For one thing,O's never effectively run a program year to year, anywhere." Now we've come full circle. You THINK he would be able to effectively run a program, but the others on the list all have. That's what he's done (or not done, actually) that's not good enough. I'm not an O negative, but to think he's the best guy on our list is rather limited thinking, imo.

Reactions: LSUTiger87
Miles did it in the SEC when the SEC. dominated all of college football.

BigC I have always agreed with your posts in the past but we will have to disagree here.

Jimbo has won 88.9% of his games vs the SEC compared to Miles' 69% during that same span.

See what happened at Wisconsin when Aranda left? The next DC learn a ton from Aranda and they picked up right where he left off. As for having Jimbo, O and Aranda that is awesome but I am not sure that is possible given O will be very upset and feel rejected. I am also not sold on Jimbo being a great Offensive mind. He looks better with a great QB and more average without one.....sound familiar? He is like Sumlin with and without a hot shot QB to run the spread. Now he seems to get the most out of his QB's and that is obviously a benefit.

Ok...who has put out the most QBs in the first round so far? You say that like Jimbo is not considered one of the best QB tutors in the country. Yeah Miles needs a good QB but Miles is not a QB coach. Ask Rohan what he thinks of Jimbo. He'll tell you he is the man that made him who he was at LSU, says it every chance he gets on the radio. Remember Damyune Craig giving y'all fits? Jimbo again as Qb coach at Arburn. Ask Jamarcus, Ponder, Manuel, and Winston. All ended up being first rounders, contributed to Jimbo. The fact that most of them didn't do much in the NFL is further proof of his system rather than lucking into talent, which you can't even say because it's too consistent. It's so consistent it can be argued Jimbo has only had one gap in having a good QB. The year between Winston and Franscois. They say the gap was due to Winston being so good so early in his career nobody wanted to sit behind him. So now they have Franscouis. Are you not impress with the true freshmen Franscois? So how is needing a good QB even remotely a problem? Hell don't everybody need that to play championship football?

Last edited:
FSU was 23-16 the 3 years prior to JF taking over that program including a 7-6 finish in '09. IMO, that is pretty bad shape.
That's exactly what I said but someone said Jimbo inherited as good of a team that Miles got at LSU. Not true.

The point was that the cupboard was not bear. Having 3 of 4 top 10 classes is far from being in bad shape. People act like Fla St had middle of the pack talent and Jimbo coached them up to win a NC. That was not the case. That is all I meant.

Doesn't change they were losing 5-6 games a year for the most part from 2007-2009. Bowden, a HOF coach wasn't winning with that talent. There is a vast difference between what Miles took over and what Jimbo took over.

Then again, SC....you have been of the opinion Miles was going to win another SEC title at some point between 2012 and 2016. :D
Well I didn't believe Miles was going to win another championship between 2012-2016 and everyone on this board knows it. I don't see how that fact delegitimizes SC's argument, however. It's all about timing and fit. If O wins the job I believe he will do a great job. One thing is for certain is that I believe he has learned how to delegate responsibility to his coaches and that in my eyes gives him a legitimate shot at running a successful program. Coach Miles just couldn't learn that concept and his desire to input into the offensive philosophy and scheme is what lead to his downfall. Coach O has been in the business for years and I believe he will always keep a great OC and DC on staff. He's learned that from his past experience and I think that may be an actual plus for him if anyone with an open mind has listened to what he's been saying. Of course I know I'm preaching to the choir and those who have closed minds won't hear what I'm saying because they've already made up their minds.

Well I didn't believe Miles was going to win another championship between 2012-2016 and everyone on this board knows it. I don't see how that fact delegitimizes SC's argument, however. It's all about timing and fit. If O wins the job I believe he will do a great job. One thing is for certain is that I believe he has learned how to delegate responsibility to his coaches and that in my eyes gives him a legitimate shot at running a successful program. Coach Miles just couldn't learn that concept and his desire to input into the offensive philosophy and scheme is what lead to his downfall. Coach O has been in the business for years and I believe he will always keep a great OC and DC on staff. He's learned that from his past experience and I think that may be an actual plus for him if anyone with an open mind has listened to what he's been saying. Of course I know I'm preaching to the choir and those who have closed minds won't hear what I'm saying because they've already made up their minds.
I can go with not believing CLM was going to win a championship the last 3 years but, in '12, if Bama doesn't score that last minute TD; it would have been LSU facing Georgia in the SEC CG. Nothing is guaranteed but it could have easily been LSU beating up on ND for it's 4th NC.

Reactions: twill28
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT