ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Some LSU football camp bits and pieces

Mike_Scarborough

Hall Of Fame
May 29, 2001
First of all, the June camp is a much smaller group rather than what seems like the 600 we see at the July version of the Les Miles Tiger Football Camp.

Smaller group but still a nice group of quality prospects on-hand today. I didn't make it out there yesterday when they tested as i was en route back home from Baltimore but i know Chris Allen from Southern Lab was there. He wasn't back out there today.

New LSU DT commit Glen Logan was on hand and he was mightily impressive as was the defensive linemen group as a whole. That's where the majority of the top prospects were. Logan looks bigger than he did at this time last year. While he did some really nice things working with Ed Orgeron i thought Bravvion Roy of Spring, Texas was the guy that gave the offensive linemen the most fits. He has a LSU offer and we posted a full update on him a week or so ago.

Defensive ends Sci Martin, Caleb Roddy and Andre Anthony were there. I thought Roddy looked the best of that group in the bit of time I was able to watch.

We've been wondering if LSU might take a second QB in this class or not. If they do, it's going to have to be a project type of guy because it's not likely they are going to attract a Rivals100 or Rivals250 guy to come along with Feleipe Franks.

Today QB Chancellor Johnson of Newnan, Georgia was getting the bulk of attention from Cam Cameron. He's 6-5 or so, 220 pounds and has a pretty live arm. He was taking well to Cameron's coaching, particularly some mechanical stuff. We hope to catch up with him ASAP for an update.

A big TE that was hard not to notice was 2016 TE Coleton Lasseter (6-7, 245) of Hallville, Texas. His rivals profile is pretty barren as no one has done a story on him. Steve Ensiminger was getting him a lot of reps. He runs pretty good routes and showed some good receiving skills.

2017 OL Adrian Ealy was out there and he certainly had his handful with some of the defensive linemen there but he held his own.

One thing for sure is that it was much different watching Ed Orgeron interact with the defensive line kids versus Brick Haley in previous years. The kids absolutely loved him. He got down and did pushups with them when they lost a battle and they all fed on his energy. I watched him work the fields, shaking hands and making all the campers feel welcome. He's absolutely a great addition to the staff.

When I interviewed 2017 DT Marvin Wilson of Houston-Episcopal at the Rivals.com 5-star Challenge Friday he said he wold be at the LSU camp today but he wasn't there. I'm waiting to get back an answer from him on whether he will be there tomorrow. He might have gotten home and decided to wait for next month's camp after a long weekend plus travel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News