ADVERTISEMENT

LSU FOOTBALL Still Many Concerns

Tigerbrian

All State
Gold Member
Jul 13, 2001
I hope everyone realizes that while Etling came in and gave us a good spark on Sat night, there are still so many indications that this is an average football team, at best! I think most of us realize this. J-state wasn't some bottom of the barrel SEC team. They were a lower division team with a better than average QB but we still struggled to move the ball outside of the 2nd quarter. That is not a good sign. The defense is not dominant and will struggle against the better teams on the schedule because of the lack of our offensive production and disadvantageous time of possession. The TOP stat for the first two games was abysmal, especially for a team that prefers to run the ball. While special teams had a better night, you still get the feeling that anything can happen every time we line up for a field goal, punt, kickoff, etc. In short, no consistency there.

In truth, this program under Miles has fallen victim to the same problem that has plagued the program for decades, except during the Saban years. The inability to bring in quality oline and dline talent on a consistent basis. Every year we pad our recruiting hauls with 4 and 5 star running backs, DBs, and wide receivers. And we're all stoked because we have top 10 rankings every year. But, we only bring in the top talent on the oline and dlines when there's a bumper crop in Louisiana, which seems to only be every 4-6 years or so. And recently we've had misses with the top oline talent in LA and that's a disaster. It's not about the lack of QBs. As an example, the QBs at Alabama during Saban's tenure have been average at best. He's proven time and time again that you can win championships with average QBs if you have quality oline play. Look at the two QBs that we had during our two national championship runs. Those guys weren't super talented QBs. Not at all. But the oline play was exceptional and that was the difference. I hate Saban. He's a prick and I'm pretty sure he sold his soul to the devil somewhere along the way. But his blueprint for building and, most importantly, sustaining a national championship caliber program cannot be disputed. Miles just could not sustain it over the long haul. I'm not sure anyone can.

Changing QBs is not going to solve this problem and it's going to ultimately be Miles' undoing. It's a shame because I like the man and he's been good for LSU. I love my Tigers and always have through thick and thin. I want this team to succeed and achieve all of their goals but you can see through the first two games that they have problems that cannot be solved simply by changing QBs. I don't care who we put out there at QB and I'm pulling for both of those kids but they are both going to struggle because of the real problem with this team. It all starts in the trenches and we just don't have the quality and depth that you need to compete for championships at this level. That's the real source of the problem and the real reason why Miles will not survive.

Geaux Tigers!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News