ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING Update on Amite - 1-25-19

samspiegelman

1st Team All-America
Staff
Jul 31, 2018
Just got off the phone with source in Amite. Here is the latest on Ishmael Sopsher, Devonta Lee and Rodney Sopsher ahead of this official visit weekend

Rodney Sopsher

Rodney has been re-classified into the 2020 class. That almost renders him as a non-factor in Ishmael's decision. Pretend as if LSU, Oregon offers do not matter. We will address this again this time next year. He is supposedly at Southwest CC now and that's an encouraging first step

Ishmael Sopsher

Both Nick Saban and LSU went in-home with the Sopshers this weekend. After Saban and Pete Golding went in-home on Wednesday, there was a waning confidence that Sopsher would wind up at Alabama. That is no longer the case

I am told that as the family travels to Tuscaloosa, Ala., for their OV this weekend, there is a growing sense that both Sopsher's mom and dad are on board for the Tide. They believe this is the ideal landing spot if Sopsher wants to eventually develop into a first-round NFL pick.

LSU still feels good and they are assured the final OV before NSD. Orgeron has made Sopsher and Amite a priority, but this is a fluid situation. LSU is exploring other DL at the time, like Byong Young, Charles Moore and Nathan Pickering, and is working feverishly on adding at least one DL to their 2019 class.

Right now, my guess is on Alabama.

Devonta Lee

Lee has been rocking a lot of Kentucky gear of late, and the Wildcats are certainly a team that is trending. However, there is no guarantee Lee goes to Kentucky this weekend as originally expected.

A decision will be made later tonight after his basketball game.

His QB Amani Gilmore, a UK signee, may be able to drive him. That remains to be seen.

UK is quietly the No. 2 team leading into NSD behind LSU, and the biggest reason why LSU remains the top choice is because of Mickey Joseph. Joseph visited with Lee and his family on Thursday and discounted a lto of Kentucky's selling points on immediate playing time. LSU said Lee will have to earn playing time in Baton Rouge, but he'll do so by developing and playing with a better surrounding cast.

I still like where LSU stands at this point, and they will get the final OV before NSD. However, my confidence would go down if Lee somehow made his way to Lexington for a second visit in as many months this weekend.

We'll keep ya posted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News